Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just browned some ground beef for a pasta dish this afternoon and when Teresa tasted a bit she said how come hers never cooks up that juicy. I'm not sure how it worked out but for some reason, I do most of the meals using ground beef but when I'm getting ready to cook it, I mix about a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in a little water with the ground beef and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then cook the meat. Everyone else may already do that but I only started doing it a couple of years ago after watching a cooking show. :)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I mix it in just using a spoon since it will mix with it all when it starts cooking. You don't have to wait the 15 minutes but if you start it cooking without waiting, don't freak out when all of a sudden you have water bubbles that will make you think you are going to have a mess. :)

Most of the moisture that you see at first will draw back into the ground beef as it cooks.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, a teaspoon of baking soda with ? how much is a little water???? Never heard of doing that so now I have to try it.
Just a teaspoon or so and it does work. I have just sprinkled it over the meat and stirred it in and it works also but you have the bubbly affect.

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We planted some replacement seeds in several of our garden beds a couple of weeks ago since we are pulling out some of the early plants. Teresa wanted to take a "just because" picture of veggies in the fridge so that is attached. We have already froze about what we want for this season and have more pickles and relishes than I can eat in a couple of years. Green beans have slowed down due to the heat and dry weather but we are almost at the point that we don't need anymore. The corn is doing great and the melons in the bed by the house are going to be ready in a few weeks.

We have given away several five-gallon buckets full of cucumbers and squash to friends that aren't able to garden so we still enjoy that little bit of labor.

Attachments

• Harvest2 29 June 2022.JPG
    Harvest2 29 June 2022.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 50