The journey into the abyss of no return

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cause the hole that was opened down to the water would let surface water straight down to our drinking water instead of flowing to where ever it goes and being filtered down. Thus that would contaminate the well, literally would have cow schit going into our water. The liner stretches to where the soil wasn't disturbed at that leads to the water.
Most wells are sealed with bentonite around the casing so many feet to prevent well contamination from surface water. Wells are 4 to 6 inch holes, not looking like a asteroid hit earth and made a hole.
Thank you. I didn't think about the disturbed ground offering a direct route to the water below. Here our water is from underground springs etc and the well drilling rigs all go straight down with the 6 inch pipe or whatever size they are using.... without disturbing the surrounding ground so not opening up a pathway for the water to go directly down alongside the pipe into the water source without being filtered through the ground.
Makes sense.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you. I didn't think about the disturbed ground offering a direct route to the water below. Here our water is from underground springs etc and the well drilling rigs all go straight down with the 6 inch pipe or whatever size they are using.... without disturbing the surrounding ground so not opening up a pathway for the water to go directly down alongside the pipe into the water source without being filtered through the ground.
Makes sense.
I don't get why they are drilling 4 inch holes here when we have a lack of water as is and most wells GPM is low with recovery rate. It's like they are setting people up for failure on purpose and getting away with it.
I've only seen one 6 inch well in all well logs around me. Mine is technically 12 inch :p any sand that comes in with the water through the slits on my casing will drop down before going into the 6 inch casing with low GPM pull for clear water. Plus I don't need high GPM rate pull since it will be filling from a 3000 gallon cistern I will pull from once every so many months.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Done, time to sink the well pump and let the good times commence. Going to let it rain on it all next week for the week of rain we are going to get and then straighten it out with the loader. I made it slope away from the casing.
IMG_20240503_140929_00_68221.jpg

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
"Gucifer" here going to have a surprise when ducklings start hatching before her goslings hatch. Some reason she lets ducks drop eggs in her nest, so far the count is up to 4 duck eggs 3 goose eggs. If she doesn't drop anymore goose eggs I'm going to shove more duck eggs under there.
KIMG04355.jpg

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
From what I gather is this soil holds itself very well from collapsing as everyone seen in this ordeal. So with that in mind, I'm going to take one of the test holes I dug near the well and expand it out to 8' to 10' in circular by 14' deep and drop my water tank down it, cap it off with a concrete lid with built in man hole off centered 4' below the surface attach a pipe for a riser with ladder attached to it.
KIMG04455.jpg

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You just impress the hell out of me.
You aren't the only one, I impress myself.
If we have a drought and the well goes dry we got 7k gallons on reserve between that tank and all other tanks now till winter hits. Before animals we would take about 6 months or more to drain 1500 gallons.
Next up, the part time arsehole neighbor is going to pray age takes his hearing when done. Sixteen guinea fowl eggs in the incubator and that's just the first wave, 3 a day have been laid. :gig
KIMG044999.jpg