TheFarmOfDreams- a long awaited adventure

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many post holes, how is the soil and how many big rocks are you likely to hit?

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How many post holes, how is the soil and how many big rocks are you likely to hit?
That is a VERY good question. I know if there's rocks, by hand is definitely not an option. It is "well drained" soil, definitely wasn't a former landfill type situation with lots of garbage. Beyond that, I have no clue! And quite a few. The planned fence is 56x80.... so 32? posts. If i'm mathing right. Plus extras by gates... I need to map it out when we get there. I'd like to fence in the whole front yard for them. The auger would definitely get good use... if it lasts... as we plan to put up permanent fencing in the spring for the horses, and down the road to fence in about 5 acres with no climb. Once its cleared. Probably should get the auger. Just shy of spending anything with 30k of barn repairs looming...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends on what size rocks! Can't auger through even a decent size rock, end up having to dig them out with a shovel. There is a rock everywhere I want to put a post, there is probably also a rock everywhere I don't have a desire to put a post.

Are you planning woven wire? You don't need wood posts all the way. 3 per corner, braced and wired (wrap around and tie off the fence at each corner post). T posts in between and they typically aren't set as deep as a wood post so potentially fewer rocks to hit. I spaced mine 10' apart. T-posts can be adjusted if you hit a rock. 4 posts per gate, again braced and wired.

Also, if you are putting in pipe gates, I suggest replacing the screw in J bolts that come with them with through post threaded J bolts (which yes you get to pay extra for). They have 2 large washers and nuts, you can micro adjust them while the gate is mounted. Helps a lot to get and keep the gate level.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, limestone and shale would be a joy!!! Haven't hit any of those here.

The problem with dinomite (sic) is you need a license to use it. There are legal methods for "commoners", STA posted some videos a year or 2 back. Only problem with them is the cost, lots of hundreds of $$. I found a place that rents them but way over in NH, the cost would still be high given you waste a day getting it and another getting it returned. Now if there was a place locally ... I have a number of areas in the fields that would be improved with a bit of blasting. My mower would be very appreciative and so would I.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Auger are a labor saver. Here are several.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice of you to post links Bay :D

Personally I'd be quite shy of trying to use one of those "1 man". That is a lot of HP and torque. If it catches on anything I hate to think what damage it could do to my arms and shoulders.