There's a new macrocyclic lactone (____ectin) dewormer!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sweet Cheeks said:
Back to wormers -

I have had my first two goats since Oct 09. They are brother and sister, wether and doeling Reg Nubians. I was told by the 4-H family I got them from they had been wormed in August with Valbazen.

I haven't wormed them yet. I admit I'm a little nervous about what to use and when.

I bought a bottle of Safeguard Dewormer for goats the last time I was at the feed store. Fenbendazole Suspension 10%.

Just not sure how to give to them. I had horses at one time and it was easy giving them the paste wormers.

My goats don't like me messing with their heads, faces, or mouths.

I tried looking at their gums to see if they were pink or not and that was quite a challenge. Their gums looked a little pale. Not pink at all.

Any recommendations for me - please?
As for the logistics of drenching a wiley goat..... Get straddle of its neck and squeeze enough to keep it from backing out.. Then take your non-dominant hand and grab their chin putting your thumb through their mouth sideways, just behind the lower front teeth. There's a void between the front and back teeth, and they don't have upper teeth, so they can't really bite you. If you're holding their lower jaw and have them locked between your legs, they can't really go anywhere. Then use your dominant hand to dose.

If you're going to be putting more than maybe 5-6ml down one at a time, a drench gun is probably worth using. I like to try to hold their head a bit more level and push slowly while I'm drenching with that much liquid, whereas I'm liable to tip'em back and push quickly with just a few ml..

As for Safe Guard...it's pretty safe, but it's also pretty much lost all effect against worms around here and in lots of other places. Still, if I had a goat with white eyelids, I'd probably use it first just to see if I could knock the wormload down a bit before moving to something stronger. I don't remember the Safe Guard dosage right off hand, but 1ml/10lbs shouldn't hurt anybody. When we use Safe Guard, we use it 1x/day for 3 straight days.

If I were you, I'd also go grab a bottle of 1% injectable ivermectin. Ivomec brand, or a generic like Noromectin brand should be fine so long as it's 1% injectable. Dose that ORALLY at about 1ml/30lbs of goat, and you may need to repeat the treatment in maybe 10 days or so.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If it has horns....tie a lead rope to the horns and tie secure.
this gives you the advantage of straddling him and him staying put and then have at it....works for me all the time tying them up to restrain.

No horns, tie around the neck then secure.

eyelids tell a good story too....check the eyelid color...should be very very pink. if pale you must worm or check for any other problems

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
CM, I found some levasole here, but I'm not sure of what form. It comes with directions for poultry, but I'm sure that someone as resourceful as yourself can 'figger out how to get it into a goat, lol. I buy a lot of poultry stuff from these people and have always been satisfied. Check out the prices on poultry supplies, (feeders, waterers, etc.) http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=74

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the link...wonder if they still actually have it?

It appears to be levamisole soluble pig wormer. If so, the info I'm getting says there's 18.5g of levamisole hydrochloride per bottle of powder.

I have read in several reputable places that the goat dosage for levamisole is 12mg/kg...but don't hold me to that~ :gig Especially considering I've also seen references to doubling the sheep dose, as well as administering only the sheep dose, with the sheep dose being 8mg/kg. Basically, it's up to whomever to do whatever they feel is best if they choose to use it. Levasole can be OD'd, so keep that in mind.

In any case, proceeding at the dosage of 12mg/kg and coming back to the pig wormer......if each 20.17g bottle contains 18.5g of levamisole hcl, then each gram of powder contains 917mg of levamisole hcl. That's enough to treat about 168.5lbs of goat. If we divide 50 by 168.5, we get right about 0.297.. If I'm correct, that number would represent the grams of pig wormer per 50lbs of goat.

In other words, the dosage on the soluble pig wormer -- if my math is correct! -- should be just about 300mg/50lbs of goat.. At that rate, the whole bottle should contain enough levamisole hcl to treat about 3,083lbs of goat. If you average your adults at around 150lbs, that $50 bottle would basically provide one-time treatment for 20 head of adults.. About $2.50/head.

Comparatively...just for kicks...if you were to administer Cydectin pour-on orally at 1ml/20lbs, it would take about 150ml to treat the same 3,000lb of adult goats. A 500ml bottle of that stuff is like $60-something at jeffers, and you'd be using 30% of the bottle...or, about $20 worth...or, about $1/head.

But, hey...the most expensive wormer any of us could possibly use is the one that doesn't work. If I hadn't already thrown pretty decent money at a bottle of Levasole sheep boluses, I'd be on the horn with first state vet right now, just to have this stuff on hand! :D

crocee

Just born
Reaction score
This thread piqued my interest as I am always on the look out for wormers that actually work. The active ingredient listed in the OP is availiable he in the U.S. and has been for quite a while. Its a restricted use miticide/pesticide for crops. Its sold under the trade names of:
Abba, Affirm, Agri-Mek, Avid, Dynamec, Vertimec, Zephyr and Cure 1.8 EC

IF you had a bunch of goats you wouldn't mind loosing to science you might have a study done.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/abamectin-ext.html