Thin yearling

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Secuno....I'm sorry to hear of all the problems that are trying to overwhelm you right now.

Copper toxicity is a real problem in sheep. What about having goats (or more goats if you already have some) who are much more copper-tolerant.

Have you had your water analysed? Seems to be the way to go. We have a dual water supple here..... a long standing source from a spring and a recently installed bore hole after last summer's exceptional drought. We had our water analysed from both sources and they are different but both safe and appropriate to drink for us and the animals.Excess minerals can usually be filtered out for your own use, along with a UV light to kill bacteria. If you can store rainwater for the animals to drink for at least part of the time, this should also help.

The lung size of any animal can look disproportionately small after death if the air has come out of the lungs. Conversely the lungs can seem to stuff the thorax if the air is still in them.Sheep generally seem to have small lungs for their body size.

I know nothing about fescue fungus poisoning. We have fescue grasses over here, but they don't seem to cause much problem to us normally. Grasses which tolerate wet are the predominant ones in my area. Hopefully reseading your pastures will sort this out.

I wish you luck. Land and animal care is a continual battle, though, isn't it?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Secuno....I'm sorry to hear of all the problems that are trying to overwhelm you right now.

Copper toxicity is a real problem in sheep. What about having goats (or more goats if you already have some) who are much more copper-tolerant.

Have you had your water analysed? Seems to be the way to go. We have a dual water supple here..... a long standing source from a spring and a recently installed bore hole after last summer's exceptional drought. We had our water analysed from both sources and they are different but both safe and appropriate to drink for us and the animals.Excess minerals can usually be filtered out for your own use, along with a UV light to kill bacteria. If you can store rainwater for the animals to drink for at least part of the time, this should also help.

The lung size of any animal can look disproportionately small after death if the air has come out of the lungs. Conversely the lungs can seem to stuff the thorax if the air is still in them.Sheep generally seem to have small lungs for their body size.

I know nothing about fescue fungus poisoning. We have fescue grasses over here, but they don't seem to cause much problem to us normally. Grasses which tolerate wet are the predominant ones in my area. Hopefully reseading your pastures will sort this out.

I wish you luck. Land and animal care is a continual battle, though, isn't it?

Not switching to goats, would rather quit livestock altogether.
Looking into how to ship out sample, found a lab that will test it.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vet thinks the fat thing isn't really an issue, since our area is inundated with the plant.

Got a water test kit coming in the mail!

And picked up a quick test from the store.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Water tests came back.

Higher iron & aluminum.
Aluminum at the max recommended limit.
The iron is at 2.02. Max limit is 0.3...:oops:

Vet says iron could be binding other minerals.
Says there's a better liver biopsy test she can do on some sheep.
:ep:barnie
You want to do what to my precious sheepies' sides?!?
:eek::hide
Ugh, I don't want any of them to go through that...

What to do...

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
A friend of mine has been battling copper deficiency in her sheep (yes, deficiency), in part due to high iron in the water. Right now she keeps back the liver from every sheep she has processed or dies on her farm and has her vet send it to Michigan State for copper testing to make sure she's on the right track with her supplements. Could be a reasonable alternative to live biopsies if you have some that need to be processed.