1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Do you think Pony Rides should be allowed at Fairs? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about horses

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Horses, Mules and Donkeys' started by mystang89, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Oct 8, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Very good points. I keep my horses separate from the sheep. I have a 13 hand pony that is roly-poly fat. He is also very playful and with a horse that means biting, running and kicking. Bad for Sheep.

On our soft sand, mine are barefoot. I ride on the roads which are are not hard either. A good trim keeps them in good shape.

Shoeing a horse is a special talent. Farriers go to school or apprentice for a couple of years to learn. You can lame or ruin a horse with a bad shoe job. Please don’t do that yourself. You could learn to trim, after much study and supervision. It’s an art, a horses hoof is a complex thing. The old saying goes, No foot-no horse.

2. Oct 8, 2019
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Pony, as in the 14.2h and shorter horses. They tend to be very easy keepers, a flake of hay keeps them fat or even looking at grass feeds them.
    A pony is NOT a young horse, has nothing to do with age, only size.