This is BAD.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, there are several possible outcomes here. This doe may be so run down from the previous couple of litters, she may fail to conceive, or she may reabsorb any kits that she does conceive. She might kindle a litter and raise them just fine. On the other hand, a doe that is seriously run down may have her mineral reserves depleted, and she may get into trouble on that account. I haven't been able to find any studies on this, but I have lost a few does over the years that apparently died in convulsions when their litters were a couple of weeks old. I had one Netherland Dwarf doe that I found trembling and weak when her kits were about 3 weeks old; the best guess I could make under the circumstances was a calcium deficiency (that's pretty much what it looks like in dogs and pigs). I didn't like to wean the kits so young, but that's what I did, and started feeding the doe a calcium/potassium/magnesium supplement. It took a while, but she recovered. Since then, if I have a largish litter that seems to be doing a bit too well, I'll give their mother some extra calcium, just to be on the safe side.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
If the house rabbit is the buck or would be a simple solution to neuter. Or get a live trap and try to catch the wild one and give it away or cage it. If the house rabbit is the doe, have a series of gates that shut before the door so there is a greater chance at catching her before she gets out? Either way it will be easier to just catch the wild one and rehome or "harvest" as someone else has said.

Unwanted litters can make for some really stressful times on you and the rabbit. Not to mention the struggle to find homes for those babies and if someone is rushed to get rid of them they tend to end up in not so great circumstances.

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dunno ur housing set up indoors but if your inside rabbit purposefully wants out to breed u may have to get one of those circular doggy carrals that you can put around her house. That way when kids leave door ajar it can't get near it but can still hop freely without being pinned in its house. Or block off half a room or secure a baby gate outside the "problem" door. That way y'all can walk over it and use door freely but nothing can run past you. Some of the plastic ones I've seen go as low as 25$. They worked great for my passed Yorkies who'd dash out any time they heard the door open. Some examples I got from Google to explain are these. Of course If u don't want litters at all or she's a problematic breeder having the bunny fixed may be a better option for quality of life. We always fed special nutrient rich veggies or treats every other day to pregnant and nursing does. If the kits are big enough to attempt to get the food you may have to take her away to feed the supplements. A few minutes break from babies never hurts anyway. Wishing you the best with her getting back to her best!
Edit to add: most those plastic carrals (tall or short ones) can inter lock to make long or square/retangle depending how many u buy. Most bunnies stretch up to 18in so if you want to try that option don't go shorter than that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-01-12-32-48.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-01-12-32-48.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_2017-01-01-12-30-14.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-01-12-30-14.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 96

SavannahLeigh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Weeeeeeellll... I couldn't catch the outside rabbit (i finally did, mid mate) So that's why he was out

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Weeeeeeellll... I couldn't catch the outside rabbit (i finally did, mid mate) So that's why he was out
He won't loose interest unless she's gone or unattainable (housed up off ground) so if u dont want to fix him I'd suggest inclosing him an area in a room like gating off half a room or crack down on putting bunny up in his house before going out, cuz he'll probably keep doing it since he knows she's out there

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If the "wild" rabbit was a North American wild rabbit, you do not have anything to worry about. Domestic rabbits are descendants of European wild rabbits, which are incompatible with North American wild rabbits. The embryos will not survive.

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Certainly hope you meant "past" yorkies as I wouldn't expect passed yorkies to be moving... :sick justsayin :lol:
Lol:lol: well yes. They have been dead for 4+years now. I miss those buggers. They were there for all the important milestones of my adolescent to adulthood life.

SavannahLeigh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The bunnies were both domestic... I just wanted to make sure that she wouldn't die. :D =D

Thanks for you're help!!

Latest posts