Thistleblooms Rambles

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a beautiful place. And you do nice landscaping.

Yes @Bruce , if I had alot of money I would buy a farm that we could really work and enjoy and really "farm".... but it would never be some sort of show place that is for sure. Maybe have someone to do some of what I don't like doing, like mowing grass, and as I have gotten older to do fencing and some other stuff. But the idea of having that much money to have estates and guest cottages bigger than most houses just doesn't get it. Although, a housekeeper wouldn't turned down since I would rather be outside than inside.....

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also hought I should point out that I have nothing to with lawns anywhere. Except my own house. I'm beds and borders exclusively, leaving the lawns to the army of mow blow and go guys.
That struck me as wryly funny, and immediately brought to mind the opening scene from one of my favorite movies, "Sabrina"-(the Harrison Ford one, not the original one with Audrey Hepburn). While panning the estate, the narrator is saying "there was an outdoor gardener and an indoor gardener, an outdoor pool man and an indoor pool man, an outdoor tennis crew and an indoor tennis crew. an arborist and a tree surgon on retainer, and one man who tended the koi."
Now that's a paraphrase because I haven't seen the movie in some time...it disappeared in my move.
I can just see someone (not you @thistlebloom ...I'm certain you would never be so petty) saying "oh no! I'm BEDS AND BORDERS...you have to get someone else to rake those few leaves off the lawn."
Sorry, even I worry about my sense of humor sometimes.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a pretty place. Sometimes I see an old farm house up close by the road and off in the distance is a MacMansion, leaving the old house empty and lonely. To me the old farmhouse has the charm, the love and the fun that makes a home.

Me too. My house is little and boringly samey, but it's where everything I love is. Small as it is I have impressed on my kids that they will never have to live in their car as long as we have a roof to share. I think that's incentive enough to keep them working hard, haha.
No, I don't want to be rich (good thing as that is as remote as flying to the moon ) but I do realize that without wealthy folks I would probably be working at a mini mart or something. Who else can afford a gardener? And a lot of them are really very nice people.

@Xerocles , I worry about your sense of humor too. It's very similar to mine 🤣, we should both be very afraid.
You weren't too far off there, although I do a bit of lawn raking, those guys had better stay outta my beds and borders!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @thistlebloom,

Were you, Miss @WildBird (and one other whose name I can't recall), impacted by the earthquake in Idaho yesterday?

Senile Texas Aggie

I thought I heard a rumble, but didn't take much notice. Kid#2 texted me and asked if I felt it. Of course I didn't see his text until a few hours later, but he said it shook his desk chair. Other than that nothing that I have heard as far as damage up here.
@CrazyAboutAnimals lives in the Treasure Valley, where the quake was centered. Are you ok CAA?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thought on the guest house is three times the size of our current home :duc :ep just think of the cleaning:thi want a larger house but seriously thats massive. It's like 600+sq foot per person in this house hold thats like your own one bedroom apartment size thats just huge!!!
It's beautiful you do good work. I would be afraid my kids would ruin all that work they love to pick flowers and dig holes.

Latest posts