Thoughts needed on PotBelly pigs as a multi-purpose type thing...

Chickie2378

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ks....never tasted alpaca. not a clue.

what is it 'close to' in taste to give me an idea?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Probably the closest thing is goat but it isn't quite like goat. We have both in the freezer. It is a red meat so you can still have steaks and everything. We actually like it better than beef. You do have to be very careful cooking it though. You can't cook it well done. It is very lean. It took me a while to get the cooking down so it wasn't tough to eat. Once you figure out how to cook it, it is wonderful!

Chickie2378

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
is a marinading a good thing. to help the cooking process?
goat was hard for me to learn to cook but if I went by my game recipes for deer I kinda figured it out.

sounds good to me. I will 'try' to search it out in my area and eat. I love trying new things.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I put a post on CL for problem llamas and alpaca because it's an animal I haven't yet tried/butchered. Haven't had any takers yet but I've seen them posted over the years.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm sure marinating would be good. I use my Cuisanart grill and my chops and steaks come out great. I just add some salt and pepper or some seasoning.

I bet you will see more and more on Craigslist. At least in Ohio there are quite a few on there. Not necessarily problems but people just wanting to move them.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alpacas huh? Never tried it, but does sound ALMOST like a good idea...I don't think my horses would ever get over it if I brought any home alive though...we saw some out riding one day, and could NEVER go back down that trail! My gelding would turn around and head for the opposite direction...he is not afraid of ANYTHING, we hunt off of him...but he is NOT going to go NEAR an alpaca! Cows, goats, pigs, dogs, don't bother him...those alpacas however...he remained calm and would NOT budge one bit closer to them! I even went back later on foot and the owners came out and I talked to them for a while - nice people, just not my geldings cup of tea....it was funny, he doesn't mind anything else...but those REALLY had him worked up! And he leads the girls to behave the same way...my mares would have none of this alpaca nonsense either!

You're right though, we all have to do what works for us. Smaller amounts sounds better all around at our place. My friend found me 2 young males the same age...she brought them over yesterday...merry Christmas :) They are all together right now...at 9 and 10 weeks old, I hope they will be fine, though I do plan to separate soon...but for now they are all cozy together. One of the boys will be castrated, and will be the first taste test, as will probably one of the girls. They are now named Nugget and McRib...the other 2 are as of yet nameless...but everyone is fine, no scouring, eating, drinking, cozy in their home.

Now all I have to do is get back into the swing of all things pig :) We don't vaccinate, but we do worm...castrate...UGH not my favorite...and I think on the "keepers" teeth will be clipped....though that is new to me...so I am waiting on hubby to get back...this weekend will be a pig festival I am sure....

I do admit, I was missing having little oinkers around! Their antics crack me up! i just can't get over it no matter how many young piggies I see, they are all so fun to watch to me! Once they get bigger, all I see is sausage and bacon...but now I will enjoy them for what they are...cuteness in the pig pen!

Latest posts