1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Breed?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Goats' started by HomesteaderWife, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Mar 25, 2017
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife True BYH Addict

So, we have had "Linda" now for over a year and I realized I have never posted here to ask for input on what breed she may be.

She's about medium-sized height. Horns have stayed this short and not grown out much. About a year and a half old. The people that bred her said they come from distant Nubian stock but I just don't know- her ears are not quite as long. I almost thought Boer mixed in from the coloring. I'm not familiar with all the breeds so I could use a hand.

Any ideas here on what she may be? Thank you so much! P.S. Sorry these are the only three photos I have on hand. One photo shows her at only a few months old.

linda.jpg
    goat.png IMG_2871.JPG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. Mar 25, 2017
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
    I see nubian..... She's finer bones and narrower than boer imo but I am new to it. Could she have some Alpine? Maybe. But also maybe Nigerian. Could also be multiple mixes. What is her weight if known. At the 1.5 year mark was when my saanan/ nubian doe really had a growth spurt and went from medium height to full sized. So she "might" continue to grow but I don't know. She's cute either way!

3. Mar 26, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I don't see any boer in her. I agree with @samssimonsays... I would say Nubian mixed with an Alpine or a Nigi, depending on her size.

4. Mar 26, 2017
    Nathan Justice

Nathan Justice Chillin' with the herd

She kind of looks like a Nubian Cross! She is gorgeous whatever she may be!

5. Mar 26, 2017
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife True BYH Addict

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.
    @samssimonsays - I will get a measurement of her height this afternoon!