Three dead rabbits from auction...

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so, we went to a closed auction..yes, it was weird. They only let ten people in. We got there really super early. We were trying to buy this goat from a guy on the internet, and he said if we didn’t buy it the goat was going to the auction. So, we went to the auction. Anyways, we didn’t buy the goat. But, we did buy 8 rabbits. They were beautiful bunnies!! 4 lionheads, one pregnant NZ, and 3 Cali/NZ. So, we came home..I had quarantined them...they were fine. The next day I went out. Two were dead.we thought perhaps the stress? I should have given Albon right then, but to perfectly honest, it didn’t occur to me, because we are super busy right now. So, since then, things have been fine with them. Eating fine, acting fine, no issues. Today, I went out..,The one lionhead was barely breathing. I rushed him in...and tried to give him kitten replacement....I was too late. In that couple minutes, he had passed. So, Now I’m freaking out!! I started Albon right away. But what else could my options/treatment plan be? It’s not really the time of year for worms...everything here is frozen solid. I realize that worming needs done regularly, but...there were absolutely no signs!! When my other bunnies had worms two years ago, before we knew what we were doing with the bunnies, there were symptoms...gel butt, not eating, not active...this is not the case with these guys....they were fine, then they just dropped dead. I am completely aware of GI Stasis...dealt with that too. But, I didn’t those signs either. These bunnies showed absolutely no signs of anything. One second hopping..next second..dead. There was no in between like GI Stasis, how they stop moving, get anorexic...ok, need thoughts and help!!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so, we went to a closed auction..yes, it was weird. They only let ten people in. We got there really super early. We were trying to buy this goat from a guy on the internet, and he said if we didn’t buy it the goat was going to the auction. So, we went to the auction. Anyways, we didn’t buy the goat. But, we did buy 8 rabbits. They were beautiful bunnies!! 4 lionheads, one pregnant NZ, and 3 Cali/NZ. So, we came home..I had quarantined them...they were fine. The next day I went out. Two were dead.we thought perhaps the stress? I should have given Albon right then, but to perfectly honest, it didn’t occur to me, because we are super busy right now. So, since then, things have been fine with them. Eating fine, acting fine, no issues. Today, I went out..,The one lionhead was barely breathing. I rushed him in...and tried to give him kitten replacement....I was too late. In that couple minutes, he had passed. So, Now I’m freaking out!! I started Albon right away. But what else could my options/treatment plan be? It’s not really the time of year for worms...everything here is frozen solid. I realize that worming needs done regularly, but...there were absolutely no signs!! When my other bunnies had worms two years ago, before we knew what we were doing with the bunnies, there were symptoms...gel butt, not eating, not active...this is not the case with these guys....they were fine, then they just dropped dead. I am completely aware of GI Stasis...dealt with that too. But, I didn’t those signs either. These bunnies showed absolutely no signs of anything. One second hopping..next second..dead. There was no in between like GI Stasis, how they stop moving, get anorexic...ok, need thoughts and help!!
What about coccidiosis? I’ve had rabbits that’s were fine one day and barely breathing the next because of cocci... maybe start them on corid right away ? That’s what I would do!
With worms they always show symptoms, just like other animals. But cocci can show no symptoms. I’ve had entire litters die and some had awful diarrhea, and some showed no symptoms and just died.
I’m sorry that you lost them and I hope the others pull through for you. Good luck!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so, they are in hutches that are about 5’ away from my other rabbits...do my other rabbits need treated. I read that these sick bunnies need their cages cleaned out. Do I need to do this for all my bunnies? I read I need to give cored for five days. I haven’t used the corid since last summer, thank goodness, so I’m rusty. Now, for rabbits, the dosing on the package is weird....I just did the math, on the computer,....basically it’s like 1/2tsp to one gallon of water...that sound close to anyone? Ok, getting started on the cleaning....

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
They were little..I’d say just about 8-9 weeks...no necropsy.....I gave the rest the Covid...everyone is doing fine...😀👍🐰

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
They were little..I’d say just about 8-9 weeks...no necropsy.....I gave the rest the Covid...everyone is doing fine...😀👍🐰
Is it possible they were under 8 weeks? I'm not sure what the rules are for your state, but mine (CA) requires baby rabbits/cats/dogs to be 8 weeks before they can be legally sold. That way they should be fully weaned and on solid foods.

I'm glad the others are doing ok :)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is possible...they were small..and very so darned cute. But, the6 looked very similar in size and weight to mine tha5 are the 8 week old standard....in fact two were lion head..which is smaller breed than the Cali cross that the others were...I suppose I’ll never know...but I’ll be Leary of buying at auction. When we were there, to buy the goat...I stood in the pen with him for at least an hour...checking him from head to toe....that’s how we decided, not to buy. He just seemed..a little..off? Maybe he just needed a bit of better feed..but 8 wasn’t willin* to risk it...not with a goat...

next time with bunnies, I’ll try to get a bette4 look, or buy the bigger fatter ones.🤣

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's the risk of buying any critter at auction, that it's not as healthy as it appears, or could pick up something from one of the other animals.

Does the auction have any warranty or disclaimer regarding the health of the animals sold? Might be something to look into for any future auctions, if they refund or take action if animals die soon after going to their new homes. Might require vet check or necropsy though, so might not be worth it depending on what you spent for the animal.