1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Toxic or invasive plant of the month--Giant Hogweed.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by greybeard, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Aug 24, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Not exactly a common plant here, but because it is toxic and because I found 3 in a clump on my property yesterday, it's my pick for August.

I found these growing yesterday and had to look them up. First ones I've ever seen here. Interestingly, these particular ones have no leaves at all, just a stalk coming out of the ground, tho all the others I've seen elsewhere did have leaves of some kind. Spider lily.. I think the exact variety is hymenocallis liriosme . I'm told, the leaves, that look similar to the common amaryllis only show up after the bloom has died.
    All parts of the plant are considered toxic to dogs, cats, horses and cattle due to alkaloids. Not really a lily but a member of the amaryllis family.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    screen shot
    There is a red flowering plant similar to this, but is a completely different critter.
    In Japan, it's seen around graves, along rice patties to kill rats and all over cemeteries. Known as the Dead Man's plant or the Hell plant. I've seen it in the US in more than one state. lycoris radiata
    Toxic as well.
    [​IMG]

Baymule, mystang89 and RollingAcres like this.
  2. Aug 24, 2018
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

@greybeard, thanks for the info... I've always wanted some spider lilies but since they are toxic I've struck them off my list. It would be nice if nurseries would advise folks if something is toxic. I planted three hellebore plants and then found they are toxic. They are still here only by virtue of their location not being anywhere the goats are allowed to go.

3. Aug 24, 2018
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres True BYH Addict

Thanks for the info GB.

4. Aug 24, 2018
    Donna R. Raybon

Donna R. Raybon Loving the herd life

Yes! I would avoid any form of castor bean!! Old timers grew them to have poison for moles, mice,etc. I have never planted any here, but 22 years ago when we moved they were here. One will germinate now and again and as soon as I see it I kill it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  5. Aug 24, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Years ago, I decided that any wild or ornamental plant that came with a bean, pod or had bean in the name was to go on my kill list.
    mimosa--castor-Mexican bean-senna-mesquite.

My wife insisted on bringing a mimosa home from her mother's place and planting it in the yard. Every year, I make her go out with a pair of scissors and snip every bean off the plant while it's still green and burn them. Told her. "When it grows so tall you can't reach the beans, it gets cut down and the stump treated with herbicide."
    She knew i was serious and she's been keeping it pruned back this year.

RollingAcres likes this.
  6. Aug 30, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I see those white lilies along the side of the road and I have some of those red spider lilies. I always liked the red spider lilies, but now, not so much. I try to keep toxic plants away, I sure don't go planting any mimosas either, GB, I like them, admire them--on somebody else's property!