Trapping A Racoon

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My grandad hunted them all the time...had a coon dog just for that. I'm sure I ate it there but, been many years ago. Groundhog, too.

I've got some of those groundhog rascals here now to get to move. Got my live traps out as I saw the rascal today, just before he ran back under a chicken coop. Had planned to set traps tonight so he could have his breakfast in there. That is until I saw this coming out of there....mom +7 skunks!! Don't want to trap those!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had one try to join me in a tree stand. I yelled it kept coming, at the base of the tree I yelled again, as it began to climb the tree I sent it to the hereafter.
Called a game warden, he said I did the right thing should have left when I yelled.

Edmond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yep, had racoon problems at another house and had to use trap, what worked for me was securely getting the chicken i used tied real tightvwith zip ties, that way they had to go all the way in and it sprung it closed...they are clever little beasts, if you don't get that food secure they will use their hands and get it out. Fair warning, when you get it ...it with fight like crazy to get out to the point it will injure itself, if you are going to rehome it, they normally travel a ten mile radius from one area...so move it more than ten miles away. And if has visited and gotten a kill.....usually there are more....good luck.....cooked chicken is a fantastic bait !!!!
i wrapped my trap in black visqueen and set only one door open put a bunch of marshmallows, I've caught many coons with this

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Marshmallows work good... we get cheap cans of sardines from the dollar store and use them. Eggs also work good. I've used partial carcasses from a chicken they killed.
JUST make sure they cannot get the trap to flip over... and they will try to reach through and pull stuff to them and inside,,,, anything to find a way to get out.

Parkeexant

Just born
Reaction score
Yep, had racoon problems at another house and had to use trap, what worked for me was securely getting the chicken i used tied real tightvwith zip ties, that way they had to go all the way in and it sprung it closed...they are clever little beasts, if you don't get that food secure they will use their hands and get it out. Fair warning, when you get it ...it with fight like crazy to get out to the point it will injure itself, if you are going to rehome it, they normally travel a ten mile radius from one area...so move it more than ten miles away. And if has visited and gotten a kill.....usually there are more....good luck.....cooked chicken is a fantastic bait !!!!
interesting trap, i could use it one day