Trapping

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sky- certain animals require a furcatcher/trapping license, and one of the biggest things is that they track fur sales. If you sell your hide, you are required to keep a list of the names and addresses of those you sold them to. This is to make sure you aren't trapping/selling out of season. Our seasons begin in late November in order to make sure they have thick, Winter hair already coming in. Like I said, I will be posting photos as we go. I have my squirrel hide (for personal, art use) still salting, which is drawing all the moisture out very well.

Makes sense. I suspected as such. We keep our hides, but I suspect that if I get better at this, I may sell some. It just depends on what I have.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
By the way, here is an update on the squirrel hunt. We went out today for the first hunt of the season, and a lot of walking and listening turned up one squirrel. We followed many others but with no clear shots, as the leaves are all still green on the trees here. Here is a photo of the hide stretched out.

Never heard of anyone tanning a squirrel hide...you guys are hard workers at your place! :thumbsup Son got one robbing the apple trees again....she's in a jar right now. Took a pic to show a lady out in CA how clean and pink squirrel meat is. We didn't save the hide, though.

LL