Trip Is A Sheep Guardian

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southern saying many times that her LGDs just go where they know/think they should be... even if she didn't really want them there. Even if it meant climbing fences, breaking out of barns, hopping over gates...

Just want to clarify.... that is only when there is an immediate threat or a goat is alone and unattended. Yes, they will get to where they need to be. ;)

As far as Paris joining Trip... cool beans... how is she doing with the sheep?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My two seasoned LGDs have me spoiled. My oldest, Sigueme, just seems to have been born mature, calm, and ready to work. She was never a problem and has been the perfect LGD since I got her at 4 months of age. My second one, Francis, I got a 6 months and he was calm, self assured, and just a good boy. He did go through quite a severe chicken fetish but was never concerned about the goats, and that was his job so I overlooked the chickens most of the time. He finally outgrew it at about 2. The new one, Mia...she is a half sister to Sigueme, but not the good half. :lol: She is mouthy, wants to nip and chew on EVERYTHING. If I correct her she nips at the air, but in my direction. She does ok with the big goats, the babies are for playing with if they run and jump near her. But my biggest challenge is that when I walk through the certain aisle of the barn with a goat, which is basically where she stays if I am not there, she will nip at their legs. She thinks she is a Border Collier...NOT !!!! She also grabs at the dangling legs of baby goats that I am carrying. She doesn't do this in the field, only in the barn.

I am not one to teach my LGDs a lot of commands but I think LEAVE IT needs to be first on Mia's list.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
My all-time favorite and most used command is LEAVE IT. We probably over-use it but it works for us on everything from sheep poop to the pesky little yapper dog our daughter has. ;)

Four dogs from two different households in the house is working but takes some effort.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today we finally weaned the lambs. We fenced in a corner of the back yard so Paris can start her lamb training. I'll start another thread for her. Trip was very upset that his lambs were taken away and paced up and down the fence. He didn't like it at all. He spends 24-7 with the sheep, no more separating them at night, Trip is a darn good sheep guardian!