A basket of poults.

Attachments

• IMG_20170425_220920231.jpg
    IMG_20170425_220920231.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 107

holm25

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Ethel Jr. is broody... Boy oh boy... She is going to be nasty with babies... She isnt terribly nasty to me yet but she tried attacking my little cousin when he picked up another broodies baby... Yikes

Oh and she went broody in the most convenient spot! Right in front of my feedroom/cage room door!

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awesome poults and broody hen, Holm!

I just got back from my 3 1/2 hour road trip to buy my new tom. I don't know, I think I must be the most naive trusting individual that ever walked the earth. I wouldn't lie to a buyer, and when I think someone seems like a nice person, I believe that they're not lying to me either. Plus, I'm sure that I see what I want to see, and gloss over anything that detracts from it.

So I saw a kind of rough looking turkey, with a few bugs near his vent, but since I'd already convinced myself I wanted him, I didn't turn around and walk away. No, I brought him home with me. I asked the man how old he was and he said about two years. I now believe that to be a lie. He kept explaining that he looks a little beat up because it's mating season and he's been fighting with the other toms. Which I bought, because they would fight, right? When there's three toms and not many hens that I saw.

And the guy had him caught up in a cage, but now i think that was so I couldn't get a very good look at him. Cuz now that I have him home, I can see that he must be quite old. His beak looks brittle and worn down. His face looks, I don't know, old? And his legs look scaly. I dosed him up good with ivermectin, and I'm hoping that if he just has scaly leg mites, then maybe getting that cured will make him look a lot better. But if it's old age, well, there's only one cure for that!

So I did put him in quasi-quarantine after all. He'll spend at least a week, maybe two letting the ivermectin kill off his mites, and then I'll see if he's fit to meet my other birds. Of course, they will still meet through the wire, but at least there will be no body contact yet.

I wasn't too worried about the few bugs I saw near his vent. That's something I treat my own birds for occasionally anyway. I'm pretty sure the ivermectin will take care of those.

But he doesn't look nearly as nice as he did in the pictures that the man supposedly took on "Friday". That bird had beautiful feathers, and this guy is in serious need of a moult! So just another sign that the guy was being dishonest on purpose. Unless maybe since he had him shut in a dog crate overnight, that might have torn up all his feathers. Hard to believe one night would shred them that bad though.

So, I will take some photos of him after I go detox my car. :p

Hey, and I noticed that while I was gone, BYC went back up! So since I doubt anyone will come back to this thread anymore, I will copy and paste this over there.

Latest posts