Turtle Rock Farm: First Goat Experience

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a bit of a scare a few weeks back. Lexie bloated, and was down by the time I found her. Thankfully, after a dose of Peptol Bismol (recommended by a goat person I know) she stopped screaming and was up and walking a bit a few hours later. I still don't know what caused it, because their hay hasn't changed, they obviously don't have any toxic plants they could get into, and they had no access to the grain bin.
View attachment 58230
Speaking of grain, I am thinking that Lucy needs more than the 1lb a day I've been giving her. She's getting a bit skinny. Yes, she has been wormed in the last year. How much do you all generally feed them?
Remind Aaron Lee get a third to a half of a horse scoop a day of my mix. The colored plastic ones I can get at the feed store. Then my milkers get a high-powered feed on the stand. They get alfalfa in the evening and grass hay in the mornings. yours are probably need a bit more than mine because your temperatures are much more extreme. My non milkers get a14% feed with some Alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, and crimped oats when pregnant. I get a 25% protein mix with yeast for the milkers that I feed free choice while they're being milked to boost them. I can also give them anything extra like gold Spike or anything while they're on the milk stand so I know who they get their dose.

Turtle Rock Farm

Caprine Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, shame on me! This is the only recent one I have, and it's just them in their shed window.
I got a bag of alfalfa pellets from the feed store, and it has definitely been helping Lucy keep her weight on.
P1360800.JPG

Latest posts