Tying/locking horses in at night?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine are out 24/7, no stalls to speak of.
They eat all the time, which is natural and beneficial to their health. Some horses are air ferns and will get fat, others wont and if you keep them moving, you shouldn't have any issues.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One thing about stalling daily is that it gives you a bit of training opportunity and also gives you a few minutes of private time with each horse. I have stalls and pens and pasture and for the most part dont stall anyone at all without a specific reason. but i do expect mine to be comfortable in a stall, not fret, etc, so i do stall them occasionally at random.

it can be difficult to pasture feed if you have very many and it makes it difficult to supplement if needed or cut anyone back,

for now, my numbers are down and so when i have enough options to pasture everyone with someone the get along with and have similar eating habits. when i feed, i spent just about a minute or so looking at them, making sure they're fine. and i'm also careful not to let anyone get pushy.

horse that are out 24x7 and not handled on a regular basis can get pushy and forget their training, and if you don't spend at least a few minutes with them daily, you can miss injuries or sickness.

so while i don't usually stall mine, i don't have a problem at all with people that do, as long as the horse has some turnout/exercise on a regular basis. i also don't have a problem at all with tying. it's a fact of domestic horse life, that sometimes you have to be tied. ...mine stay tied to the trailer for as much as three or four days when we camp.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our horses each have a stall with attached run (about 30' wide by 80' long). In the evening, we isolate each horse into the stall/run. During the day, the gates are opened to allow them out into the pasture. Since our pasture isn't very large, the overnight restriction provides some rest for the pasture, but the horses still have plenty of room to move around and are not confined to a stall.

Have you ever met a horse that lives outside on pasture and cribs or weaves constantly?

redtailgal

Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
Our horses each have a stall with attached run (about 30' wide by 80' long). In the evening, we isolate each horse into the stall/run. During the day, the gates are opened to allow them out into the pasture. Since our pasture isn't very large, the overnight restriction provides some rest for the pasture, but the horses still have plenty of room to move around and are not confined to a stall.

Have you ever met a horse that lives outside on pasture and cribs or weaves constantly?
Yes. Yes I have. An absolutely insane Polish warmblood. She kicked, she bit, she cribbed, she paced in one area of her 20 acre pasture that she shared with a few other mares.........she had so many vices it was insane. LITERALLY. She was never abused, and was a one owner horse. She was just..........WACKO. She was EXCELLENT with foals though (not her own, she was never bred for obvious reasons).

She had a name, but since this is a family board I cant tell you what it was.

bluewater rangerbreds

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Actually yes. I purchased a young stallion that soon became a gelding at my house and he was the most obnoxious cribber I ever had. He even cribbed on wire fences. I had him check by the vet and treated for ulcers and modified his feeding and all kinds of things. but he kept right on cribbing in the pasture with the other horses all around him.

sawfish99 said:

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we had a situation come up this afternoon with our two colts (two 2yo stallions). they are on a small pasture together and since they're young and basically current on their training, .. halter, lead, tie, trailer load, etc ... they only get actually haltered and handled a few times a month. One of them gave us some trouble this afternoon, nothing bad, but being disrespectful (which is simple testing boundaries, a normal part of growing up) .. so he'll be haltered and handled basically daily for awhile, probably haltered and walked to the barn for his dinner each evening.

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
Yes and no... I have a mare that is on a dry lot with a run-in (lives with my gelding). She does weave occasionally but hasn't EVER cribbed since I got her. She usually only weaves when I put them in the grass pasture and she wants back in the "safe zone" (in her eyes)....

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would NEVER ever leave a horse tied up over night. They can't move, or lay down if they feel like it. What if they get tangled up? What if they pull back? I can't even imagine doing that.

Mine are cutting horses, and many in training. So they were always stalled at night, the stalls are large with a run they can go in and out. Some have large pens with a 3 sided shelter so they can come and go. I don't see anything wrong with horses in a pasture at night as long as they have a shelter. But not for my horses.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
SDBoerGoats said:
I would NEVER ever leave a horse tied up over night. They can't move, or lay down if they feel like it. What if they get tangled up? What if they pull back? I can't even imagine doing that.

Mine are cutting horses, and many in training. So they were always stalled at night, the stalls are large with a run they can go in and out. Some have large pens with a 3 sided shelter so they can come and go. I don't see anything wrong with horses in a pasture at night as long as they have a shelter. But not for my horses.
to each their own. mine are trained to tie. i'm not cruel about it and don't tie them so short they can't move, but i also know you can't tie them so loose they get tangled in it. sure - sometimes bad stuff happens, but you train and desensitize to mitigate that as much as possible. horses can get cast in stalls or develop a long list of neurosis or run through a fence.

when we camp, mine live tied to the trailer as long as we're there, anytime we aren't in the saddle, usually three days or so. day and all night. they do fine.

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I understand having to tie them up when you go camping, etc. I am talking about just tying them up in the barn at night, which I really don't see a reason for. Mine are trained to tie also, and when they are young and getting broke, they spend many hours tied to teach them patience, etc. Or tied on the hotwalker. I still don't get leaving a horse tied up all night, unless of course, you ARE camping.