Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup

@Bayleaf Meadows What do you like about her udder and milking and what would you like to see improved?

Personally I like seeing udders of when they are not uddered up... just normal fill from the schedule the person uses.
Since you milk once a day are the kids separated at all? Are they still sneaking milk?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You asked, lol.

upload_2017-11-30_17-16-55.png

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohmy goodness... I just want to run over and pick her up and cuddly her. :love
So freakin cute. Look at those lil baby teeny tiny adorableness legs! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That udder looks pretty darn stellar from all the pygmy's I've seen!

Do tell... what do you like? what would you change?

Oh the cuteness... I'm so giddy right now.
:lol:LOL GW glanced over and thought I'd typed what do you charge! :D

I want a pygmy just like her! :(

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
As someone that is new to dairy goats, something that I'm trying to understand is "milks down to nothing." Can anyone show a comparison of an udder before milked and after milked that fits the above statement? I have two Does in milk but I'm too inexperienced to classify their udders in this sense.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is Nellie. She's a FF. She had a single buckling in April. He was weaned and then she was milked once a day until I could pick her up about a week later. Her production has waxed and waned, I'm sure in part due to me learning how to milk! Anyway her typical is about 2 cups for the day. She's was penned with a buck during a strong heat so I should know next week if it was successful or not. This pic is from July and was about 12 hr fill as she gets milked twice a day. I don't have a side pic as I didn't know the importance of those yet at that time. I am excited to see what she can do in the future. Note: She's extremely easy to milk. Once I get her to let-down, my 6 yr old can almost empty her. I just follow to make sure it was done properly and to do the second let-down and final stripping.

Attachments

• IMG_6078.JPG
    IMG_6078.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I should add that her teats need to be more midline and point down, not out. She's a Nigerian Dwarf, about 18 mos old now.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
As someone that is new to dairy goats, something that I'm trying to understand is "milks down to nothing." Can anyone show a comparison of an udder before milked and after milked that fits the above statement? I have two Does in milk but I'm too inexperienced to classify their udders in this sense.

Zamia

Zamia Udder 2016 NCDGBA.JPG

NCDGBA Spriing Show 014.jpg

Clarabelle

Clarabelle Udder 2016 NCDGBA.JPG

Clarabelle Milk Out.JPG

Rosemary

Rosemary Udder 2016 NCDGBA.jpg

Rosemary milk out.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is Nellie. She's a FF. She had a single buckling in April. He was weaned and then she was milked once a day until I could pick her up about a week later. Her production has waxed and waned, I'm sure in part due to me learning how to milk! Anyway her typical is about 2 cups for the day. She's was penned with a buck during a strong heat so I should know next week if it was successful or not. This pic is from July and was about 12 hr fill as she gets milked twice a day. I don't have a side pic as I didn't know the importance of those yet at that time. I am excited to see what she can do in the future. Note: She's extremely easy to milk. Once I get her to let-down, my 6 yr old can almost empty her. I just follow to make sure it was done properly and to do the second let-down and final stripping.
That is a really good sign that she milks out easily!
You will see a considerable difference in her production as a 2nd freshener. As she gets more capacity those teats may pull in a bit.
Really glad to see she is even considering she had a single, either the kid did a good job nursing from both sides or you did a good job keeping her even.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the "milk out" pics. Nellie doesn't milk out as well as I'd like. (I think. :idunno)

I have another FF that I'm milking (no pics yet) and she does empty out. I'll see if I can get some pics of her. I like her teat placement and the size of her teats for a FF. I'm interested to see what she does the next time around. I plan on breeding her again in April.

Latest posts