Uh oh...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do not use lamb replacer. Stick with goat or better yet put her on whole milk.

Hope she stops scouring soon. How much are you giving her ? how many x a day?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They were giving her 16.9 oz of milk replacer 2x a day, at 8 am and 8 pm.

I was giving her the lamb because I had it left over from the spring. It was in the freezer so it should still be good. There's only a little bit left (i sifted through it to get rid of all the clumps and it fills 3/4 of a 5 gal bucket) and then I will be switching her back over to the goat.

But looking at the analysis of the lamb and kid, the lamb has 5% more fat and the kid has a little bit more calcium. Otherwise same feed values and ingredients are just about the same.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I am giving her 16 oz 2x a day, or whenever she will take the bottle. So throughout the day she ends up getting 32 oz or so.

Eta: plus she has some grass hay that she nibbles at, she only eats one piece at time before she loses interest. And I have some alfalfa pellets I crushed up a little bit but she doesn't really touch that either.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Tuesday they said she was almost 2 weeks but didn't give me a birthdate. So she's probably around 2 weeks now.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is too soon for 2x day feeding.
The lamb replacer is too rich and most goats don't like it.

When we lost our Kiko doe and had twins to feed our vet had a bag of Land o lakes lamb replacer.. gave it to us. We started using it , even diluted it a bit , they ate it but they didn't like it. What bottle baby doesn't finish their bottle? It is crazy expensive, that brand anyway, so we did continue to use it but it wasn't good for them at all. They did not eat well ended up stunted, we finally switched them to goatsmilk (we had a doe freshen) they ate everything and gobbled it up eventually we moved them to whole milk. They did fine but both goats are small.

I would not of thought there would be such a difference but there was.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Darling little goat. I don't even have my sheep yet, but those goatie babies sure are looking cute.....

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
OK vet came out but didn't disbud my baby goat. When he did his exam he found she has a respiratory infection so they want to wait until shes feeling better to disbud her. She apparently has a fever of 104.8 but you would never know it because all she does is bounce and run around the house. So shes on banamine, nuflor, and b vitamins for an appetite stimulant. Do im glad we caught it early. So the vet will be coming out early next week to disbud her. Vet said scours were likely due to diet change and gave b vitamins since she didnt eat much this am.