Uh oh...

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Aww hope she feels better. Glad the vet caught it.

Definitely disbud. I HAVE been stabbed by those horns on a boer cross wether (those who say those back curved horns can't hurt can tell that to the wound in my leg) and DH almost had his eye popped by the same when we were trimming hooves. Then this year, we had a meat doe kid and seriously forgot to disbud in the choas of moving and selling. I have to get the blasted dip out of the fence daily! A few more months and she is in the freezer and I won't forget again.

$100! That is pricey! You could buy a really nice iron to do it yourself for that cost.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww hope she feels better. Glad the vet caught it.

Definitely disbud. I HAVE been stabbed by those horns on a boer cross wether (those who say those back curved horns can't hurt can tell that to the wound in my leg) and DH almost had his eye popped by the same when we were trimming hooves. Then this year, we had a meat doe kid and seriously forgot to disbud in the choas of moving and selling. I have to get the blasted dip out of the fence daily! A few more months and she is in the freezer and I won't forget again.

$100! That is pricey! You could buy a really nice iron to do it yourself for that cost.

While being new to this all, we went ahead and had her done... all vet care is pricy around here, I have watched prices go up just to take our dogs in. I would like to watch someone at least a few more times before attempting to do myself. DH has a bit of experience as he grow up on a diary farm but not enough to be comfortable.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Vet came out and disbudded her this morning. She's not cute anymore with the big ole dots on her head! lol

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad things went well at the vet's. The dots will look better in a few weeks, and you'll be glad you don't have to worry about it. :)

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this thread....went back to page 1 and saw all the pics...congrats on the cutie!!!! Hope she is feeling better, and I agree with Southern...you are now well rounded :)

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@bonbean01 , I must caught the thread also. (Waiting for something to download at work does have it's advantages!) @SheepGirl , she is just adorable. The pic with the ears makes me just want to give her a squeeze...:hugs
Glad she is doing better! Keep those pictures coming!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm just catching up on things too, like MsDeb and bonbean01. what a cute little girl. and having both goats and sheep i agree with southernbychoice you're going to have to get another goat. none of my sheep are friends with the goats and vice versa.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Lol, my parents suggested getting another buddy for her, but they said wait until spring so she can stay outside and not live in the house :p My parents didn't mind the four lambs last year in the house but this goat I swear pees and poops MORE than the lambs! She's also more active and bouncy and if you are sitting at the kitchen table she will jump up behind you on the seat or if you are facing away from the table, but still on the seat, she's gotten into the habit of jumping on your shoulders... lil turd. She is definitely a handful and I can't wait until she goes outside. (As of right now she can slip through the gate and go right back up to the door and maaaaas her head off, so she's inside at least until the lambs arrive.) The dogs are scared of her because she jumps all over the place and doesn't pay attention to where she's jumping so she'll jump and bounce on top of the dogs haha. The dogs are tolerant of her, they don't growl or bite, but you can tell they don't have the patience so they come and snuggle up close to us on the couch hoping we'll protect them but honestly we are just as much of a target for the bouncing baby goat as they are!! hahaha.

eta: She is still eating only 2 bottles a day, 16-17 oz each. She is getting hay and grain (she LOVES soybean meal...very palatable for her) and she's drinking water well. I would say she's in the neighborhood of 20-25 lbs but I haven't weighed her recently, not since her last vet visit 2.5 weeks ago where she was 13 or 15 lbs.

Latest posts