Unrealistic dog wish list

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not unusual... some young dogs can get very confused by breeding, the snorting and pawing and jumping around. They do outgrow it when worked with. Also some young dogs (we are talking 1yr or less usually) may also get very nervous and confused when a doe goes into heat. It is not the heat per se it is the "loud" screamers usually.
It takes time for the dogs to get use to the "kind" of hollering that happens sometimes when the does cycle... they can get confused and think the doe is in distress. Some things they may do are paw at the doe, try to "move" the doe to "safety"-- this is usually done by mouth on neck but not really biting or hurting the doe. Still all these things must be corrected but the dog is genuinely confused.

Rare but every once in awhile you will get a young dog that thinks it is a dying animal and will try to attack it. Like I said VERY RARE.

They do figure it out and get it eventually- bucks breed does... ok.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wish I could use the dogs as a reliable way to prevent breeding; that would be handy when short on pen space . :lol:

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wish I could use the dogs as a reliable way to prevent breeding; that would be handy when short on pen space . :lol:
Or if we could sell LGD's to parents of teens as an effective method of birth control...
1. We'd be rich.
2. We could afford more land.
3. We could have more goats.
4. We could have more dogs.
I think I'm on to something.

Bucking Adoeable Fainters

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, yesssssssss!!! I am all in on investment! I just had a girl in July, and i am already dreading it! And kids are getting there so much earlier, ahhhhh!

Sounds like another dream wish list post....to gaurd my daughters purity with my LGD!!!!!! Cha ching! ;)

Jansalem

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have two wonderful great pyrenees free to a good home. They are excellent guardians, age 5 and 7. Must go together. Where are you located?