UPDATE ON THE CREEK

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's left up to the landowner much of the time. The deputies generally won't have a trailer with them when you call them out, and the leo will ask if they can stay where they are till the stock owner can be found or until the deputies can get back out with a trailer. The deputies have better things to do and more to do than drive around the county trying to find out who might be missing an animal so they leave that up to someone in the office, as the county keeps a rough list of who is a stock owner and where they are located. 'rough' meaning i complete, not updated very well, and lots of the ph #s are no good any more since so many dropped landlines and just use cell phones.

Either way, it's against the law for the landowner to find an estray and NOT call the sheriff's dept, and he sure can't keep it on his own property or haul it to sale.

I have more than once,seen entire herds seized when a stockowner couldn't show the deputies he had adequate fencing to hold them in.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that Australian speak for a water well?

Yes, the substrate usually holds more water than the surface and topsoil....and move more (plus from and across longer distances) because there usually isn't anything down there to prevent movement.

Nice machine. One of my friends has one about that size and he does a lot with it.
(You do realize in the picture, that you are traveling (or at least facing) reverse?)

G'day and well spotted GB.I had in fact just reversed it out of the shed and asked Jenny to get a pic...T.O.R

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that Australian speak for a water well?

Yes, the substrate usually holds more water than the surface and topsoil....and move more (plus from and across longer distances) because there usually isn't anything down there to prevent movement.

Nice machine. One of my friends has one about that size and he does a lot with it.
(You do realize in the picture, that you are traveling (or at least facing) reverse?)

G'day GB, not really a bore in our case will be a drill head of about 6 ins and it will be cased in steel pipe until it hits bed-rock.I'm hoping it will not be that deep and at about 300 ft their should be enough "ground pressure" to establish a reasonable flow.BTW its costing $150.00 per mt to construct...T.O.R.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure we'd call your new potential water supply a well, too.

Our bore hole is 80 metres down and has a small pump right down at the bottom. The pump has a cable fixed to it such that it can be pulled up if it malfunctions (which I'm told is rare). The water then goes to a pressure vessel to feed the house and the water troughs. As we have the original supply from a spring still intact the two supplies run into our outhouse (lean-to). Here we can have either spring or bore hole water on by adjusting the in-line taps..

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
What most wells look like here. (far left of the picture, with the diagonal pipe leading to a pressure tank....the only picture I seem to have of it)
IMG_1179_(Medium).JPG

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day and thank you for defining the difference.In our local village (which was settled in the mid 1800's) every house was required to "dig a well" for fresh household water,it was about 4 feet across and generally lined with local bricks.You dropped a bucket down it and that was your household supply.

You are right in that in the US this is described as a water well.Today I got all of the rules applying to the sinking of a bore on our place and they are clearly stated out as to what we can and cannot do with the water from the bore.The location will be logged on a map at Water NSW and I think I can expect to have it inspected "without warning" to make sure we are not contravening any of there rules as to its use.It is possible that we will need a submersible pump to draw enough pressure (I think we need about 800 gallons an hour to fill a nearby stock water point )as we are limited to a 8 inch steel case for the lift....T.O.R.

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is possible that we will need a submersible pump to draw enough pressure (I think we need about 800 gallons an hour to fill a nearby stock water point )as we are limited to a 3 to 4 inch steel case for the lift.
Usually depends on how deep the well is, where the water table within the casing comes to, and how fast you need to fill the tank (flow vs pressure)

Most people in my area now use a sub pump, including myself. My casing is 4" but production pipe (pipe that the pump hangs from) is 2" diameter 185' total depth IIRC with the production sand being 145' thru 185' thick.

You shouldn't have any problem getting 800gph out of a 1-1/2 hp sub pump depending on your total dynamic head.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Outhouse....:lol: @Latestarter explained that....we will cover the well with a wellhouse, generally to keep things from freezing up. It does make things difficult if major work needs to be done to the well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@The Old Ram-Australia are you building berms or terraces to catch the water as it runs downhill, thus containing more water on your property versus letting it all run downhill and draining away?

In the 1930's as many already know, there was The Great Depression. The economy tanked all around the world. The government here formed the Civilian Conservation Corps made up of young men age 18-25. They were paid $30 a month, most of which was sent home to their families. The men were given room and board and did a remarkable amount of work. Here in my area, they built terraces to slow the flow of water downhill and help prevent erosion. Those terraces are still here, and can be seen in the pastures. They also planted trees, built schools, national park buildings and much more, from readily found materials in that local area. Many of these buildings are still in use.

We have one of those terraces here on our own property and maintain it. Our driveway crosses it, so it was washing out. We built it up with some clay and covered it with wood chip mulch which stopped the erosion.

When we were looking for a place to buy, we found the headquarters buildings for the CCC. It was fascinating, we loved the history and stone buildings, but they were in such disrepair that we would have had to spent many times the asking price to restore them. Sadly, we passed on it. I took pictures if anyone would like to see them. I looked up what I could find on it and the CCC was here starting in 1934 for several years thereafter..

https://texasalmanac.com/topics/history/civilian-conservation-corps-texas