Watership down....Anyone ever read it? what did you think?

rabbitgeek

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I liked the movie too. But the movie may be too intense for kids under 12 years old.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

bethany83

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Would this book be okay for an advanced elementary school aged child? 10 years old/5th grade? He's also read Percy Jackson & The Olympians and Harry Potter series.

nogoatsyet

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bethany83 said:
Would this book be okay for an advanced elementary school aged child? 10 years old/5th grade? He's also read Percy Jackson & The Olympians and Harry Potter series.
That's about when I read it the first time. If he's okay with the later books of those two series I think he would be fine.

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The name of the watership down movie is watership down. The plague dogs is another book written by richard adams. Its about a couple of dogs, that escape a lab. They are thought to carry the bubonic plague. Harder to read then watership down. very good book. They also made of movire of that one too. You can order the dvd on amazon.com.Much better then watching them on you tube.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
This discussion gave me the itch to see it again...so I put it on my Netflix list.
BigWig is still my fav. and General Woundwart still scares the hraka outta me.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Watership Down is hands down my favorite novel of all time. I was seven years old the first time I read the book and have read the book six separate times during my life. As a person who read dozens of "literary" books through college, I have to say that there is no novel to even compare. I had no idea there was a film until I was eighteen years old. It doesn't even compare to the book, but it's how I've shared the story with friends throughout the years. For anyone who hasn't read Watership Down I highly suggest it. There is nothing childish or cheesy about this book. It is stirring and haunting and once you read it the characters and stories from the book will always be in the back of your mind.

I probably sound like a dustjacket review but I absolutely adore this book and the gentleman who wrote it!

CYG

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I read it as a teen and then after I got married my husband and I read it aloud together. I tried to talk hubby into naming our new buck El-ahrairah or The Black Rabbit of Inle but he was not keen on the idea.

I thought the "creation" stories of the animals were...interesting.

Watership Down is one of my favorite books.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
To say it's about talking rabbits doesn't do it justice. It's an epic tale you must read.

CYG