Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the hospital with DD2. She has a complex UTI related to all of her medical issues. We’ve been here since Monday afternoon and will be here until she’s fever free for 24 hours. Last check was 101.9.
No way I'm clicking the "like" button on that! :hugs to you, DD and the rest of the family. Hopefully she can go home soon.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got to come home today! Some changes to our routine and such. More later. Just happy to be home.

Internet was on surge protector and got struck by lightning while we are at the hospital. I’ll be scarce until the new modem arrives. Hope to be in a few days. DH called tonight.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
DD2 continues to recover and build her stamina. Preparation for her next surgery in Oct is also underway.

In the chaos, Olaf took a downhill spin and through a series of events that made things even worse (like sneaking pig feed,) he had a severe worm bloom from the transition and we lost him. I’ll admit we made the decision that he was beginning to suffer but I have found myself at the barn less since he’s gone. I hate facing that he’s not in his paddock, waiting to greet me.

We’ve sold a heifer and a calf. The heifer was Indy. She never tamed down and got pink eye. DH treated her while DD2 was in the hospital but she became even more nervous and we worried about her around the kids. The calf was Jonah. We sold his dam part way through summer and he just didn’t cope well. The heat and drought has been hard on him. He got pneumonia when we weaned the others, as DD2 came home from the hospital. Various treatments and he finally improved but we couldn’t sell him as a show calf and had two picked for feeders for us already.

We have two more cows to sell but prices are down. Both are bred by Mack. We will try to sell them outright or wait on prices to go up. One of those is Melody. She calves every year but has never successfully bred AI. Her calves turn out well considering she’s bred by our herd bull every year. The other is Mabel. She just doesn’t fit the show mold that we are working toward. She’s leggy and has no real thickness. She did hold her condition well as a first calf heifer though.

It’s so dry here. The grass crunches under your feet. We are under a strict burn ban. Lilly pads are a good foot above the water where we need rain so bad. The hay shortage will be even worse because many in our area don’t have much. Our haylage from the wet times will be our saving grace. DH will be mowing hay the first of the week to get a little more dry hay to insure we have plenty for the goats. We get almost daily calls but don’t have any excess to part with.

Cinderella and Glitter get picked up from the vet today where we had they spayed. At least two fewer cats will be supplying us with litters! Cupcake looks to deliver her next set any day.

Latest posts