Weight and price of different cattle

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you asked. :) I look at the Angus bull and I see he's very short in body, with a shallow heart-girth, poor feet structure (though it's hard to tell with the dried grass whether his feet are slightly toed out, I think I can see with the front feet especially), and I don't like how he stands post-legged (back legs too straight and not squared up, more under him). He's also shallow in the back end, and his shoulder placement is rough. He's too "steery" for me to even consider him a good bull, because even at 8 months he should be showing a neck crest and more bully characteristics (like more muscling), but I'm not seeing it here. A good bull should have nuts, guts, and butts, and he has none of that. The two--no, three--biggest red flags for me is his imbalance of fore-body to the rear (his head seems a bit big for his body for some reason), his heart-girth and poor leg structure. You're better off getting a much better bull via AI semen straws for your girls. And the fact that he looks 6 wt. to the old farmer is also telling. At 8 months he should be a couple hundred pounds heavier and more fuller looking.

The only animal I like out of the group is the Holstein heifer. She looks like she's got potential. But that Jersey cow's feet really needs some care and some trimming. She looks like she's been back on her heels for a long time, because those toes don't grow like that over night. You'll need to find some way to get her feet trimmed up a bit.

Other than a high recommendation of castrating your bulls ASAP, the animals just need a bit more TLC because they are a bit underweight. That can be easily solved with some grain or a high-energy, good-protein supplement, and if they don't have it, a salt-mineral lick (loose is always recommended, though some like block) as well.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
The other problem that could be solved is how the picture was taken with that Angus. It seems like it has been taken with you sort of standing over the shoulder. Try kneeling down some distance away and aiming the camera straight at the shoulder. Might be able to see a better perspective of how he looks. And I know he still has a bit of growing to do and with good feed he could fill out a bit more, but I just think he's not going to be a good bull that's good enough for your girls. And there's no telling what kind of calves he might throw, whether they're going to be big or not.

Besides, what would you do with the calves that you would get from the cow and heifer? Are you planning on selling them or raising them for the freezer?

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Actually the heifer is the jersey cows baby. The bull that was bred to the jersey was an 1800-1900 lbs. Holstein and I wasn't even around when she gave birth. I guess I got lucky. The Holstein bull, the BA bull, and the jersey steer actually just got moved to another pasture. Another question I have is (just got a three day old 3/4 holstein-1/4 jersey bull calf) can baby calves have razor sharp teeth or do some just bite hard when they suck for milk because my big jersey cow was suppose to be the milk mother for the new baby but she won't let him hardly drink (she keeps kicking him). So, I put together some milk replacer and tried to give it to the calf and it drank some but then went straight for my fingers and bit one of my knuckles and I was bleeding for a good while?(the jersey mom will let just about any calf milk off or her)

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WRB- Today or tomorrow i am going to try to get some better pictures of the BA now that he is out of the pen (the reason the photos were not very good) and in one of the pastures.I will get different angles of him. The Jersey cow I haven't even had for a single year yet but you should've seen just how bad she was before I got her. Literally every day I feed the Jersey cow 2-3 gallons of protein feed and corn. I give the same amount to the BA bull. I give the other three calves a bit over a gallon each of mixed shredded corn and protein feed. They all have access to a mineral block with salt in it(got to get them a new one this week). As for the calves, I am not eating them but am going to sell them. Oh, also do you know how I might get the mom to let the calf drink? The cow is really nice it is just that the new baby bull calf bites when he sucks and I think it hurts her udders' teats. I am going to also get pics of the new bull calf.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I think it's going to be up to Nature to get the calf to learn to not be biting down so hard on the teats. The calf will have to learn one way or another, and the best way is to get his surrogate mom to teach him. Meanwhile, you might have to bottle-feed him if she hasn't been feeding him and he's quite hungry, but not enough that he's going to be too full to go try and suckle on her.

How much corn and how much protein feed, each (to make up the mixed supplement), are you giving your animals (versus what you mentioned that I assume is all together in a mixed supplemental ration)? What's the crude protein content of the feed? I just wonder if you should increase the corn ration and reduce the protein ration, but can't say anything until I have some answers to the questions I asked you, especially seeing the condition these guys are in.

Some helpful information on meeting nutritional requirements for your dairy cattle: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/163334/realistic-rations-1.pdf

This is also helpful if you scroll down past pg. 20: http://extension.psu.edu/animals/da...ng-and-management/management-of-dairy-heifers

This too is good for knowing rules of thumb for beef cattle, especially for the Angus bull (hopefully turned steer soon :) ): http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex9146

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First off everyone is getting half corn and half protein feed(ex. 1 gal. of what they get is 1/2 gal. corn and 1/2 protein feed). Like i said, the steer, Holstein bull and mixed heifer each get a gallon of the corn and protein feed mix daily. The Ba bull and the jersey cow are getting 2-3 gal. of this mixture daily. Not sure on the crude protein content of the feed(can ask the guy monday). The ne will go up to her and continuously try to drink( he drank for several minutes today with the cow kicking at him and i fed him two pint of milk replacer.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
Sounds like the calf is slowly starting to get it, and probably the cow too. Keep an eye on the udder and teats though for any issues that may come up if the calf is persistently hard on the teats when he suckles.

How long have you been feeding them this ration, and have they been on the same sort of ration since you bought them or since they were previously owned? And how long have you had these animals? Just need to get a sense of how long they've been in this condition and how long they've been on this sort of supplementation. Don't want to say anything yet, as I said, but I'm suspecting that they're getting too much protein and not enough energy. Can't make cattle gain on protein, and often an 1:1 ration of energy to protein isn't balanced enough for cattle like these.

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bought the jersey mom about 10 months ago. After she gave birth to the heifer I have been feeding her 2-3 gallons of mixed feed a day(last eight months). The BA bull I have been feeding like this since i got him about a little less than a month ago. The rest (which I've had from nearly birth) have been fed a gal. a day since 3 to 5 months of age. They have gotten this ration since i bought them. Oh and the jersey cow is now letting the calf drink on its own.:celebrate

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't add anything except that might be the shortest length 8 mo old Angus bull I've ever seen. Like has already been said, he's way out of proportion--just bad genetics. He looks more feminine than bullish--looks a bit like a steer. Use your knife.
8 months old, he is probably already trying to be a bull. Honestly, I wouldn't let him breed anything. Or go ahead and sell him now intact. He would bring around $1.70-$1.85/lb here just like he's pictured, minus commission and yardage fees.

My nearest neighbor, a lifelong cowman, came close to getting killed by a 24 month old dehorned Jersey/Holstein cross bull less than a week ago. Hit him square in the gut, flipped him up in the air and commenced trying to push my buddy thru the ground. Only thing that saved him was the bull was dehorned and tied to a tree and the bull eventually pushed him out of rope reach. I'm going over Friday to help load him out. If it hadn't been Easter weekend, he would have been in the ring Saturday.

COWGUY1123

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Honestly I think that the picture of him that i took just wasn't very good because I think he looks a bit longer real life