Well, we've done it!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is so adorable! I love how these giant oafy dogs can be so gentle around little ones. Treasures indeed!
Glad the children are loving him. Makes the heart smile!

I LOVE his face!:love

How is he doing with the goats? The kids (goat-kids that is)?
Sheep and lambs? Has he been around any poultry yet?

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He is ignored by the goats, so far They still haven't bonded yet. :( Although the kid is interested in him but her mama will not let her play. we have one more doe to kid so hopefully this goes smoothly, and we can get the kid/s interested in him very early on, and him to them. the sheep just watch him so far. we walk him out with them each day so they are getting used to him. He is around geese and ducks each day that we walk, they stay at the barn. we have always been with him when he is around him, but I have never seen him pay any attention, even when he has walked right through them and they scattered.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sound like a good boy!

Don't worry about the adult goats not "bonding" yet.
As far as the kids, you don't want any playing with kids. This is the hard part as bouncy baby kids want to play and a LGD pup should NEVER be allowed to play with them. That doesn't promote bonding but does promote chasing and bad behavior. The kids may play with the dog, but the dog may NOT play back. Any play behavior from Winston needs corrected immediately. If the kids pounce and come up that is great just he cannot do any playful behavior back.

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Winston is beautiful - love his markings. :love It sounds like you have a great LGD in the making. I wouldn't be concerned about the adult goats bonding either. When they haven't been around LGDs, it takes them awhile to get how it all works. A few months down the road, you will see how they respond when he 'sounds the alarm,' and how they seek his protection. :)

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, he hasn't played at all, she just wants to play with him. he lays there, with his head alert as she tries to smell on him and bounces around. I need to be more specific with my descriptions. sorry.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, he hasn't played at all, she just wants to play with him. he lays there, with his head alert as she tries to smell on him and bounces around. I need to be more specific with my descriptions. sorry.

Sorry @bloonskiller911 I think that was me, not you. I should have worded that better. It didn't sound like he was doing anything wrong I was thinking more along the lines of many breeders and new LGD owners think that somehow getting kids and LGD pups to play will promote bonding and it doesn't LOL it promotes bad behavior. ;)
It sounds like Winston is being a good dog! :) When the kids run and jump on the dogs that is great, more importantly is the dog allowing it and not playing back.:)

I bet the family is just in love with him! He has a smoochie face! (IOW- I want to smooch all over that face)

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a question for you @Southern by choice, he wants my children so bad. I have been having a hard time to keep him from trying to climb the fence to them when we are working at the barn. He has jumped up maybe once, but a firm "down" and he stopped. but I noticed when the girls were playing tag he chased along with them. he didn't seem to engage, but he was running along with them. when I told him "uh-uh" he looked at me like these are my kids though and just stood there. should I allow him to run with the kids as long as he doesn't play for exercise?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not. When we are raising up dogs we do not allow children to run in the field. For a couple of reasons. The field is not the children's play place and two it leads to the play/chase behaviors.
This also can present problems if you have other peoples children over. Dogs generally do not like when "others" go in their field and start running, their instinct even at a young age can cause them to run after and knock a child down. As they mature they see this as a person chasing their livestock. Their owners (including your children) will not be seen as a threat as the dog matures.

Of course not all dogs do these things. Many will tell you "I have never had a problem blah blah blah...." all the way up until the day there is a problem. Because he is young and you are working with him best to have the field be his field and the yard be for the children.

Remind the children that you know how much they love him and how great they are doing with the pup but that it is good to set limits and allow Winston to become a guardian. Winston will need to learn the art of boredom. Just because he wants the attention doesn't mean he should have it all the time. Working in the field or around the barn with him there is fine but there must be some ignoring going on too.

So glad you all are loving him so much. They sure do steal your heart.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ummm can we please have an update with some pictures of Winston? He was so handsome/beautiful as a pup, I'd love to see what he looks like now. How has he worked out as a guardian for your flocks? Thanks in advance!

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He's a good dog. We've hit a few bumps and snags (chasing mainly, but also mounting goats) but nothing that work on our part hasn't helped. I need to get some good pictures of him. I will try and get some updated pictures of him this week.

Latest posts