What´s the point of having a LGD....

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's a farmer down the road from me who has one of those non stop barking LGDs! That would bother me mostly because I have 2 house dogs that would bark back. That's no fun at 3 am!

I always planned that when I have one (probably a ways off as my older dog is fairly dog aggressive and I'm shocked he ever accepted my younger dog) that they would pretty much stay with my goats, so wouldn't be near my chickens really.

My goats are pretty close to my house, and I don't want to move them too far away until I have a guardian of some sort. We have 5 acres to play with but are right next to a state forest so there are serious amounts of coyotes and bears!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My LGDs are not dog aggressive and neither are my house dogs, but the two never meet in the field. The LGDs OWN the field and I am not sure what they would do if the Border Collies were to enter it, at least not if they were off lead. I brought home a pup a few months ago and they didn't eat her so maybe they would be ok but the house dogs have no reason to be with the goats and we just keep it that way.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have LGDs, farm dogs, house dogs, and Titan. At 9 months old I do not trust my puppies alone with small kids. They're just to playful still. They still chase chickens, too. Haven't killed any in a while, but, they do chase them when they "intrude" on the wrong pasture. We have coyote BAD here, they're hybrids, and I sleep much better knowing they're out there with my girls.

If there's something that requires brute strength and backup, well, I'd hate to meet it. These big pups protect their livestock well.

We have two adults on our other property that guard the chickens. I say guard loosely as they are not bonded to them like the girls are to my goats.

Earlier today I was walking my fenceline and one of the does started screaming at the top of her lungs. Both dogs sprang into action and beat me there. Turns out the doe tried to go through a section of fence and got stuck. She contributed to lots of chaos! Connie and Maddie were very upset and confused about the whole thing, but didn't leave her side until we got there with the tools to free her. They promptly went back to their shade tree and took a nap. They move freely through out the property and are most often found posted along the driveway where all the action happens. Quiet unless there's something crossing the road or pipeline (their favorite place to watch), and ever watchful. They let us know when something is wrong (like when we had a sick pig), and are always ready for a good petting.

Would I still back them up if I needed to? Most definitely.

We see less predators with those girls on the job.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I might add that there's nothing more intimidating than nearly 200lbs of dog running up to you at full speed to make you rethink stealing something. That's just one dog. ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes when I am watching the goats Francis will be running them in from the back field and I just stand there in the path and pray that he veers off or at least slows down before launching himself on me for some lovin'. Having him come at me mad would be very intimidating to say the least.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dog who is dog aggressive loves the goats. Can't say he would protect them but he does love being with them. My other dog is an Alano Español and is bred for hog hunting. I keep her away from them for fears that her "take down" instinct kicks in. She'd never hurt them just scare the crap out of them!

We have had a bear with 3 cubs on our property for the past few weeks. It even managed to open our grain shed. I sure would feel better if we had a protector out there!

Coffeybean

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There can be a steep learning curve. They usually don't come chicken trained but most of them learn to leave them alone. As pups they have to be watched, some may chase stock and want to play, a definite no no. My first two were perfect with the goats, but they were both pups and had each other. My puppy is a pill and at 7 months is finally "getting it". I still don't trust her early morning without supervision...the cooler it is the more she wants to play. Some say it can take two years before they are trustworthy with livestock and I say that is way too long. IMO a good LGD should be able to be with adults goats immediately and with babies when they are a year. But you need to be prepared that your LGD may not be perfect. You need to have a way to separate them if you need to not only for chasing but to keep a pup from getting hurt by aggressive stock.

I can't imagine my barn without my dogs. I am home by myself most all week, day and night, and often I am doing chores and milking in the dark. I used to be scared to death and would plan my day so that I flat out was not outside at night. Now with the dogs I come and go with no worry. If they aren't barking I know I am safe. And if they are barking I know that nothing will get me.

I also have about a 3 acre field that is very hilly and when the goats are out there I can't see them. I would be very worried about them grazing alone, but the dogs go with them. They will lay in the shade and watch and if the dogs sense danger they do the bark and patrol and the goats head for home, they really do understand each other.

But also be prepared that some LGDs are barkers...all night barkers. They should not do that, but some do and some people say it is just an LGD. I had a barker and it did not make for good neighbors. Unfortunately I had to have him put down (not for barking) but his replacement does not bark unless there is a reason, my female doesn't either. But some do so just be ready to spend some time with them as pups telling them that they don't have to bark at the falling star or leaf. :)

They aren't always perfect as pups, but it is soooo worth it in the end.
I enjoyed your post. I have some lgd and they are about a year old. I have them penned in a dog run unless they are out with me. I can't get them over the chicken killing thing. They do well with the other livestock. My goats don't like them though and some of the more aggressive does still go after the dogs (they just turned a year old).
I have been reading all I can on how to train them but I feel I am still lacking. Also we live on a major hwy. I found the dogs literally laying on the yellow line protecting us. So that is also why I had them penned. Should I not pen them now since they are older? What should I do about the chickens? Any help would be great. Mine bark all night btw but we have LOTS of coyotes in the area and they will come to the front door in daylight. Since the dogs came the coyotes stay away.

Thanks Jenn

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That hwy would have me very worried. Can you put up an electric fence on the road to keep them off? Would hate to have them get hit. My dogs will stay inside just a wire as they have learned that they hurt. Sometimes I put a wire u if we are moving fences and they won't challenge even one strand. But if you could put 5 or 6 strands of the tape n the road it might keep them off the road.

As far as the chickens, it took my male 'til about 18 months and then he just stopped. It was almost always in the evenings when it was cool and he was playful. If they chase when you are out there you might try a long lead and see if a sharp NO and a tug will stop them. I know that others will frown at this, but I used an e-Collar. But I can't say that it worked or if he grew up so I hate to suggest one. However, new birds would have to be put in a dog kennel in the field for a few days before I let them integrate into the flock, the dogs know which birds are theirs and won't accept others.

Personally I hate to see them penned, they need to be with their charges and the goats need to learn to trust them. I won't say that my dogs are particularly bonded to their flock, but they do their job so that is ok. With chickens I think that it is a matter or time and a lot of correction on your part. Do they respond to a NO when you are out with them? But I understand not wanting to lose the birds.

Not sure I have any really good advice on how to break the chicken fetish but I don't think keeping them penned will help much on that front.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that I don't have a chicken killer any more I moved all but 5 of the chickens out of goat pen so it is no longer an issue, for the most part. My puppy did kill two of those and the rooster moved out on his own and the other hens are broody elsewhere. My puppy will probably never learn to leave chickens alone as she is not with them now at all. Technically I can't have chickens with the goats because of the dairy but I did like them together for fly control. That was the primary reason I got chickens in the first place.

Latest posts