What´s the point of having a LGD....

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah yes we have a roaming pyr in the neighborhood. Unfortunately it's roamed enough to have developed a taste for chasing animals (deer mostly, but my husband said it was after the pot belly pig we used to have one day). It also barks all night long. Ugh! Short hair is good. I don't even want a long hair indoor dog. Grooming is not my idea of a good time!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Even though toli's are short hair, they STILL shed PILES of hair/fur! and I have to agree (based on my very limited experience in general with LGD's specifically) that a Pyr/Toli cross is about the ideal... Of course I own one, so I may be biased.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We can get enough hair from our Aussie every week to make another dog. Glad she only weighs 50 pounds. The Border Collie sheds but nothing like the Aussie.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a Pyr/Maremma cross that is one fine dog. He would much rather stay in the yard, but willing goes to work when play time is over. He seldom barks, doesn't try to run off, is great with the chickens and sheep, and LOVES our grand daughters. He'll be 2 in November. It didn't happen overnight. He chased chickens-LOTS of time spent. If I couldn't be out there with him, the chickens stayed penned up. He was a year old when we got the sheep and he wanted to maul them. Again, LOTS of time spent. And most importantly, LOTS of time spent on BYH, reading, reading and reading some more.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first three LGDs were perfect with livestock from the moment I got them...chickens aren't livestock, right? My puppy is giving me a reality check.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag you gotta admit, chickens are the ultimate squeaky toy. When they stop moving, just get another! You will just have to keep them separate until she grows up a little more. Paris was an avowed chicken killer when I got her and Trip wanted to chase them, not too long ago. Your Mia will make a fine dog, obviously she is smart enough to know it is wrong and not do it when you are watching. So, don't give her the opportunity unless you are outside with her to correct her. It's going to take awhile...... :barnie

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
They also make hearty cuddle buddies, and are very sneaky.

20160717_110830.jpg

Our pups listen when we talk to them. They respect us and we them. We were in the pasture hanging out with the goats and they decided we needed attention. We got it wether we wanted it or not. LOL

20160717_110742.jpg

One day you will know the love. Just don't expect a puppy to take on a bear, especially alone.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would never expect a puppy to take on a bear. Nor would I "expect" that from an adult dog. But I know they would let me know so that I can be their backup. My house dogs would do that if they knew it was there but they're sleeping on the couch when all this stuff happens! Haha! Plus most bears will take off if there is a dog barking at them anyway.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have bears here, neighbor 1/8 mile away had one drinking from his pond. Thankfully the majority of my property is fenced and the dogs are with the goats in that Fort Knox fenced area and I think the barking just keeps many pests away. Too much trouble when there are other places to visit and no dogs. Thankfully they haven't decided to visit my beehives...bees and bears are not a good mix.

Mia will grow up someday. Most of my chickens stay in their chicken yard where they belong. I only had the 5 that were still in the barn and now none. I have rogue chickens too and they just roost in trees and brood wherever they please. If they stay out of the goat field they will be ok but since Mia isn't ever with the chickens I wonder if she will ever acclimate to them. My older dogs used to have the chickens in goat field but the dairy plans made me move them to their own field.

Mia spent most of the day in with the goats. I put her in the field at about 9:00 and actually forgot about her until 3:00. I have 3 fairly small kids in that field and I was a little worried about what I was going to find. As I walked up to the barn I could see her laying in the barn with a lot of goats and one of the small kids was right next to her and he was doing a strange stretching head roll thing and my heart sunk. :hide I just knew she had been using him for a chew toy. Well she came to greet me and he didn't get up so I went into the pen to check on him and he was just fine, not even slobbered on. :celebrate He was just being a goat and laying next to Mia was just to make me nervous. :lol: There is hope for her yet.