What am I?????

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am adopting this beauty from someone that rescued her! The woman thinks she is a Lamancha! I have looked at pics of them and they don't completely look like her! Anyone have any idea what she could be???

5745_goat1.jpg

5745_goat2.jpg

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The ears say LM cross of some kind to me, but what the cross is I have no idea.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Goat horns arise from the top of the head, sheep horns arise from the side. This one has goat horns. It's a goat. It looks like a Nigerian. Nice coloring. It looks like a Nigerian. Nice coloring.

And it's got a starvation coat. Starvation coat looks like wool. Starvation causes the goat to grow a thick wool undercoat to protect is from the cold (because they don't have any body fat to keep them warm and lack of calcium and other proper minerals and nutrients hinders their ability to grow proper hair. The hair follicles get all gummed up and it rubs out easily and sheds. It might also have mites so it would need some cydectin or Ivermec.

Jelly Bean and Houdini looked like that when I got them.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I've seen sheep like this but I had to look them up to get the name......l Painted desert (hair) sheep. Thats what I think is is (at least partly).

The desert sheep that I saw had shorter tails than "normal" sheep. They all had smaller or NO ears. The hair was fuzzy, and designed to keep the heat OUT. The older ones had MASSIVE horns, and most were skittish ( but they were ranch raised). Almost every darker one had a dorsal strip like yours is showing.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
could it be a Lamancha/Alpine cross? Alpines have a double coat and that color scheme is common in them too.

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't have more pictures yet! She doesn't come till tomorrow! The starvation coat thing would make sense as the woman that has her said she was emaciated when she took her! (she is a livestock rescue) She has been to the vet and the first time she went i'm guessing they would have noticed the womans goat was a sheep! So probably not that! I am trying to figure it out because I intend to breed her and want a buck that is a pure breed of one of her crosses to head the babies in a more pure direction. I can't seem to find anyone with lamancha's in my area so if the cross is alpine or nubian then I will have better luck!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Definitely not Nubian. Possibly Alpine/La Mancha. She has alpine horns, Straight back and thick and a thin Alpine beard. Brush her when you get her and a lot of that wooly stuff will come out. And be sure she is treated for mites with injectible cydectin or Ivermectin. Cydectin is a bit harsh but it will get rid of internal and external parasites.

And get her on some really good minerals and kelp right away. She is really very pretty. How do her feet look?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Definitely not Nubian. Possibly Alpine/La Mancha. She has alpine horns, Straight back and thick and a thin Alpine beard. Brush her when you get her and a lot of that wooly stuff will come out. And be sure she is treated for mites with injectible cydectin or Ivermectin. Cydectin is a bit harsh but it will get rid of internal and external parasites.

And get her on some really good minerals and kelp right away. She is really very pretty. How do her feet look?
Yay! Someone with more experience with dairy breeds/large breed goats agrees with my guess! :celebrate I feel so smart! :D I didnt know about the alpine double coat till I was talking to the seller I'm looking at getting some goats from. She mentioned the alpine coat when we were talking about the pygmy /alpine cross kids she has.