What are the friendliest breeds of cattle?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I second what Farmerjan said. I have a charlios heifer calf she is about 14 months old now. She can be a handful on good days I can sit on her back, I can lift each foot and touch her udder ect. Then there are days I am having to try to keep her from head butting my leg. She a good cow and I have worked to train her for ridding and possible pulling a plow. She was bottle feed and has been handle since day one and can be a butt. She eats a ton of food. All ten of my goats food equals what I just pay for her to eat. She loves my kids but they only get to be near her with extremely close supervision and most of the time through the fence.

Attachments

• 20201101_165422.jpg
    20201101_165422.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20201101_165509.jpg
    20201101_165509.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20201101_165610.jpg
    20201101_165610.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20201101_165547.jpg
    20201101_165547.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 142

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not being negative about a rescue.... just understand that you are most likely going to be dealing with an animal that has been possibly abused, or injured, or starved.... or more.... or all of the above.... Plus they will be alot harder to deal with because they may have aggressive behavior or be extremely shy or hard to handle. Overall, they are not what a beginner should be starting with. And if there are health problems, you are looking at additional costs.
They could be fine, but if they are starved or such, once they start to feel better, they are not going to be as "grateful" as say a dog would be.... they could even get more pushy or aggressive.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
. And if there are health problems, you are looking at additional costs.
They could be fine, but if they are starved or such, once they start to feel better, they are not going to be as "grateful" as say a dog would be.... they could even get more pushy or aggressive.
Good points. Although 'saving' a cow maybe romantic and poetic it could be FINACIALLY, physically and mentally straining. Ecspecially for a beginner.

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am not being negative about a rescue.... just understand that you are most likely going to be dealing with an animal that has been possibly abused, or injured, or starved.... or more.... or all of the above.... Plus they will be alot harder to deal with because they may have aggressive behavior or be extremely shy or hard to handle. Overall, they are not what a beginner should be starting with. And if there are health problems, you are looking at additional costs.
All of that makes a lot of sense.
Good points. Although 'saving' a cow maybe romantic and poetic it could be FINACIALLY, physically and mentally straining. Ecspecially for a beginner.
I can see that, now. All those "The Dodo" YouTube videos don't help :lol:
But on a serious note, it is a lot more than I initially imagined.

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Along time ago I worked on a horse rescue ranch more often then not moat of the horse would prefer to stop you into the ground some did calm down after a year but most were still very dangerous.i imagine a cow wouldn't be much different.
I can just see the headlines now...
"Girl trampled to death by cow first day on the job" :lol: