What are you canning/freezing right now?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i figured she would like helping mommy.kute kitten is getting at the age where she can be alot of help.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
3 more pts. of green beans. And I thought I had cut back to just fresh eating on the greenbeans! :rolleyes:

I also chopped green peppers and sweet peppers. They are in the freezer layed out in single layer to freeze.

Forgot the rooster I processed this morning!

I ended up with 5 pts. green peppers and 4 pts sweet peppers. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
freezers-I have two. I do have to remember to leave room for a deer-if DH gets one. I plan on canning some more of the chickens that I have left to process but, they won't be ready for another month or so.

The sugar-free stuff is going to be Christmas gifts as well as 8 of the pts of greenbeans I have down and probably anymore extra that I may get yet.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It just occurred to me after re-reading this thread and Kitty's frequent small batch updates to it that I've been thinking of this whole canning thing all wrong. I've been picking things and hoarding them, because for some reason I thought I had to have a big batch of stuff before proceeding.

So, I've got a bag of (probably past their pickle canning prime) cucumbers in the fridge, some a couple of weeks old, plus a gallon bag of green beans (some a week old).

Now I get it...I can do a little at a time! The only thing I remember seeing my mom can was strawberry jam, and that's after buying huge flats of berries at the local field. She processed and made all into jam in a giant batch. No wonder my brain's all messed up!

Oy.

So...anyone have a great dilly bean recipe you'd care to share? And are my cukes too old to make garlic pickles out of? :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If your cucs are still firm you should be okay. As for the Dilly recipe-I've never made it so unless there's one in the Ball book, I have no clue.

As for batches of stuff, I do what I get at a time. I have 3 canners. One was my mom's and it does the quarts. I can get 7 pts in it or 4 qts. She quite canning just in time for me not to have to buy one that size. :D Then I have one that does 6 pts from a garage sale and one that does 4 pts that is also from a garage sale. They are all Mirros and I love them.

If you don't have a big enough batch to fill your canner, like I had today with the greenbeans, then use jar/s of boiling hot water instead. Example: I had 3 pts of greenbeans and my small canner holds 4 pts. I used 1 pt hot water in place of the 4th pt. You need not only to fill the place but, to have the jar full to distrubute the heat evenly.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great info. Thanks, Kitty! I'll check on my cukes' condition this evening. DH picked more green beans last night, so we definitely have enough to do something with them. :)

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Dilly Beans

10c water
10c white vinegar
1c salt
Mix & bring to boil

1+1+1 for pts 2+2+2 qts dill garlic hot pepper (cayanne or pretty little red ones)
(I put more garlic & hot pepper in)
put in each hot jar
Pack trimmed beans lengthwise into jars leaving 1/2" in top

Pour brine in leaving that 1/2" space

Process 10 min water bath.

Side note, I use the 1 1/2pt tall wide mouth jars for these, work greateasy to shove beans in & can have long beans, very pretty!

Latest posts