What do I do?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If none of the sheep or dog is getting injured, maybe it's one of those things to just leave alone? Intact animals are going to hump something sooner or later, especially if they can't satisfy their breeding urges in a normal manner.

My dog would lick the sheep also, but since he was neutered, nothing went any further.
I would love to have him neutered. My husband doesn't agree with me:he

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would love to have him neutered. My husband doesn't agree with me:he

I wish I hadn't neutered my LGD...he became scared of loud noises afterward and it renders him nigh useless during hunting season and any season in which we have thunderstorms. :rolleyes:

I have to keep him on a dog run during those times and he can't really, effectively guard anything when tied.

From now on, no more neutering of LGDs for me, even if they hump the sheep every day, as long as he isn't hurting any of them he'll just have to be a weird dog. :D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both of my Great Pyrenees were terrified of thunder and were intact. I had the male neutered last year to get his brain off romancing the neighborhood. I also spayed the female. IMO it is a toss up. I feel that unless you have an outstanding specimen of the breed, spay and neuter is a good option. I had a Great Dane/Labrador that was neutered young, before we got him, he was never afraid. So sometimes that doesn't really matter. We now have another Great Dane/Labrador, he's a year old, in a few months he will be neutered.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you think the LGD breed's ears are so very sensitive that it's just a "thing" with them? Why in the world would big, brave dogs have such an irrational fear if it weren't something to do with hearing sensitivity?

AmberRaif

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have found having a second LGD to provide dog companionship has really helped our young dogs to direct their romancing in the right direction (at least species related). The male LGD occasionally looks/licks at the does when they are in heat but directs his humping to our spayed female GP, who puts him in his place quickly. He is not yet nuetered, only being 10 months old, and I wouldn't be surprised if we have some trouble ahead of us with him as he continues to mature, but our 2 year old GP is a very attentive trainer and he responds to her beautifully!

She is spayed, was spayed young at six months old. She is a scaredy cat of storms and fireworks, but her fear drives her to protect her goats. She'll take them to the barn with her, get them inside and then block the door, standing in the door with her warning bark going strong (during firework display. With storms she just hides with the goats. Apparently thunder is scary, but not threatening like fireworks.) We love our GP...she amazes us with her communication with the goats, training our young male (Anatolian Shepherd Pyr mixed with something else...but his behavior is true to the Anatolian breed, we are so relieved. He was a gamble). Anyway...I'm still new (2 years in) to LGDs...but for us having the team of two has really provided a great outlet for both of them and spaying hasn't affected our girl's willingness to guard her herd or her ability to be dominant over the young male.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Off topic but before and after thunderstorms dogs can receive multiple shocks as static electricity builds up in their environment and fur. They seek grounded areas bathrooms, cellars or enclosed areas. Add noise and I’ll bet a sensitive dog is pretty miserable. Some recommend wiping them down with a dryer sheet but I wouldn’t. Maybe a damp towel or misting.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let a rumble of far off thunder that I can't even hear, and Trip is clawing at the door to get in. He will go into total panic in a storm and always has. I have got up at night and ran outside in the rain to let him out so he can run to the house. Paris, our female huddles up in her dog house. She freaks out even more if she is in the house. Sometimes it's about letting them be who they are.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let a rumble of far off thunder that I can't even hear, and Trip is clawing at the door to get in. He will go into total panic in a storm and always has. I have got up at night and ran outside in the rain to let him out so he can run to the house. Paris, our female huddles up in her dog house. She freaks out even more if she is in the house. Sometimes it's about letting them be who they are.

Ben runs right through his electric system and heads out to the wild blue yonder...doesn't matter what direction. When he doesn't have a partner, he usually just runs to the house or the front yard/porch, but with a partner to follow him, he runs for anywhere...everywhere. I've recovered them 13 mi. from home as the car drives, because they crossed a river and cut through uninhabited forest land as the crow flies...or as the dog runs.

This past weekend he ran again but this time I think he may have been hit by a car, as he's all stoved up and sore, unable to move without pain. Some Aleve got him on his feet and moving again today but he'll have to have it for a bit until he can work out this stiffness and soreness.

Do I think that will teach him anything? Nope. He'll run again if I can't get him tied before thunder or a distant gun shot happens...and I'm not always here.

I wish he would just hunker down and hide or run to a certain structure...anything but taking off for the wild blue yonder. It WILL get him killed eventually, as he will be hit on the roads or a neighbor will kill him for being on their land, especially in hunting season.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trip would probably run too, but the fence slows him down. The house, under the porch or on the porch is his safe place.

With Ben running like that, no wonder you are against neuter. Trip was intact until the fence just couldn't contain him for the female dogs in the neighborhood being in heat. He finally pissed me off and off they came!

Latest posts