What do i need to know ?

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like profit was put in front of quality, as far as the seller is concerned. And or inexperience in breeding swine. I don't wish to speculate or cast stones, but it was an early ween regardless. Negligence of the seller's behalf. Also the seller should have wormed the pigs if the were concerned with the well being of their stock. We worm all of our offspring. A pig cannot grow if it is channeling all of it's white blood cells to fight off infections.

We breed Hampshire/Duroc/Old Spot/Berkshires. We are never in a hurry to ween. They are ween when the sow says they are ready. They will eat along side her(s) and slowly transition diet change. First milk, then milk with gradual grain feeding. then more and more grain until the sow says.."enough is enough".. that's my feed GO AWAY. When the mother stops sharing her food is when we snatch them out. We have gone a few times as much as 8 to 9 weeks (30#) nursing/grain transition. It kick starts the growth spurt big time. Then there is almost no interruption in growth once removed from the sow.
Our last 2 feeder pigs we processed were brought up to just under 300# in barely 5 months. Pumped full of nutrition from mother's milk as long as possible.

You may consider iron, nutri-drench and vitamins and electrolytes.
You could possibly stunt the growth rate of your pig if it doesn't become active and healthy soon.

Just for future reference, pigs are very social animals. Companionship keeps them active and vibrant. Having a play mate and a buddy around lifts their spirits and playfulness. It is always better to buy feeder pigs in pairs. Another benefit of having a pair is, they compete for the food. Meaning they will grow faster. Having 1 pig and a bowl of food allows the pig to nibble when it feels like a bite or two. But pigs are greedy with food. They compete. They will eat everything down much much faster if they are worried their buddy is going to get more than their share.

I wish you the best.. I'm following your thread now. I have my fingers crossed..

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It sounds like profit was put in front of quality, as far as the seller is concerned. And or inexperience in breeding swine. I don't wish to speculate or cast stones, but it was an early ween regardless. Negligence of the seller's behalf. Also the seller should have wormed the pigs if the were concerned with the well being of their stock. We worm all of our offspring. A pig cannot grow if it is channeling all of it's white blood cells to fight off infections.

We breed Hampshire/Duroc/Old Spot/Berkshires. We are never in a hurry to ween. They are ween when the sow says they are ready. They will eat along side her(s) and slowly transition diet change. First milk, then milk with gradual grain feeding. then more and more grain until the sow says.."enough is enough".. that's my feed GO AWAY. When the mother stops sharing her food is when we snatch them out. We have gone a few times as much as 8 to 9 weeks (30#) nursing/grain transition. It kick starts the growth spurt big time. Then there is almost no interruption in growth once removed from the sow.
Our last 2 feeder pigs we processed were brought up to just under 300# in barely 5 months. Pumped full of nutrition from mother's milk as long as possible.

You may consider iron, nutri-drench and vitamins and electrolytes.
You could possibly stunt the growth rate of your pig if it doesn't become active and healthy soon.

Just for future reference, pigs are very social animals. Companionship keeps them active and vibrant. Having a play mate and a buddy around lifts their spirits and playfulness. It is always better to buy feeder pigs in pairs. Another benefit of having a pair is, they compete for the food. Meaning they will grow faster. Having 1 pig and a bowl of food allows the pig to nibble when it feels like a bite or two. But pigs are greedy with food. They compete. They will eat everything down much much faster if they are worried their buddy is going to get more than their share.

I wish you the best.. I'm following your thread now. I have my fingers crossed..
I have had her on electrolytes since we brought her home I have a potbelly pig. once I know why she is coughing and whether or not she is contagious would putting her in with my potbelly be a good idea so she is not lonely, the potbelly loves to eat? can I worm her while using the electrolytes? I will get some nutria drench from the feed store first thing Monday morning thank you for your help and advise.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
she is still small but she is a lot more active now the cough is gone and she wants to eat all the time lol thank you all for your help she seems to be on the up and up

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My husband has decided to embark on a new adventure. He has bought a Yorkshire piglet with the intentions of raising it for slaughter. At my house I am the keeper of the animals and my husband looks to me for all the health questions that may rise. So now I need help lol. When raising pigs for meat are there certain vaccines they will need? How often should I worm them? What wormer is best for pigs going to slaughter? and if there is an important Question I am missing pls let me know. Also the new piglet has the scours im not sure if it is because she is just weaned or if there may be a bigger problem so I started her on electrolytes can i add the wormer I have now (wazine) to the water with her electrolytes? thanks for any help:idunno
We are new to pigs as well. We have 1 Kune Kune now, a boar just weened, and are adding a female and 2 barrows in 3 weeks from a separate breeder when they are weened. W did some research and decided to go with this smaller breed. The have the advantage of being pasture pigs. Hamlet is in with our three bottle baby goats right now and it's fascinating watching the 4 laying down together in our barn to snuggle for warmth if the wind blows. We are moving them to a different area this afternoon as they have cleared all of the weeds and blackberry out of the area where they are now.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
she is still small but she is a lot more active now the cough is gone and she wants to eat all the time lol thank you all for your help she seems to be on the up and up

After all this TLC and saving her life, will you be able to send her to slaughter? I am glad that she is doing better. Poor little thing, she was taken away from her mom way too early. You have done good in getting her healthy.

lovemywhatwhat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
After all this TLC and saving her life, will you be able to send her to slaughter? I am glad that she is doing better. Poor little thing, she was taken away from her mom way too early. You have done good in getting her healthy.
lol no my husband and I have decided that she has earned a long and happy life here with us :weee playing with the ducks she loves to chase the ducks... we are horrible at raising animals for meat we get so attached but that's ok we can at least say we saved her.;)