WHAT, for the love of horses, IS THIS!? Also questions on how to treat whatever it is and more....?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A full belly usually relaxes them, they get to standing 3 legged and it is easier to take hold of things. LOL There is a trick to making them drop, but I don't know what it is. My old gelding knows the signs so well, (bucket, rag, sponge, water hose) that the "behind the eyeballs" really means something. Just don't let go!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most people don't realize that mares need cleaning too. They get "jug jam" in their udder, between the teats. I had a mare that actually liked the massage she got and she would come to me, walk past me and stop with her flank in front of me. This was her message to me to rub her udder. Goofy horse.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
oh yes. the mares, they dont mind being thoroughly cleaned. except Allie. she is new. and young. so we are still getting to know her. im excited because she is only around 8, so i think, gotta look at her teeth better tomorrow now that i know a little more what to look for. would a gaited horse be good for the barrels?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would never buy a gaited for that. You want one that can set down and spin into those barrels, flex that body and then launch into a run. Gaiteds aren't programmed for such. Of course, I'm thinking competition -- not a cruise around the backyard. :D There's a reason the quarter horse types are favored.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ok. so she wouldnt be good for that but she would be a good trail horse. he will just have to wait then. ill find him one soon enough. he isnt ready anyways

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So.... I'm wondering how it would be to do a mini gelding....? We went and looked at one today and yes, I kinda really fell in love with him.
20190507_161059.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's a cutie for sure. May I be a little indelicate and caution you about getting in over your head? We have 4 horses and I scan the facebook pages for the kill pens. If I could, I'd have a whole bunch of them, but I have to remember that 4 is the limit.

If I am overstepping the boundaries, feel free to tell me to MYOB, I will not be offended. Just concerned that you might get caught up in the "rescue" thing and you can wind up with a whole herd before you know it.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh he isn't a rescue. Our 5 is being reduced to 4 and three are soon moving to the new pasture. We will keep Allie with us here for a couple more weeks. Then all the big horses will be at the new pasture. Sully, once healthy, will be adopted with a contract that if the new owner couldn't keep then ownership defers back to us. Tilley is going to go live with our younger 2 at their moms place. She claimed my youngest and he claimed her so we are giving her to them to have a horse for the boys at their place. I do appreciate your concern. I dont fault you at all. It would be so easy for me to get in over my head.