What horse to get, hmmm.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Still laughing from before, but with my cough its not helping, lol. Still trying to imagine actually trying to dye a cow.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you think thats bad ... Imagine trying to curl the hair on the top knot and apply those false eyelashes. :lol:

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Outside of individual horse personalities, I would have to say that the people who have issues with Arabs over and over again are those who feel the need to dominate a horse rather than work with it as a team player.

Along the way I have also found these very same people have issues working with or training service and working dogs with heavily bred and selected characteristics.

In both cases the animal needs a strong guiding hand and a sense of a job to do, and the person with the instincts to guide all the inbred characteristics.

Not putting anyone down here. Just pointing out that breeds of horses over the decades have become more and more selected for jobs and characteristics and not all people mesh with all breeds.
Yup.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
kstaven said:
If you think thats bad ... Imagine trying to curl the hair on the top knot and apply those false eyelashes. :lol:
Ok, is this the wife talking or Staven.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This is Kurtis talking. So just imagine a bunch of guys trying to pull that off with a cow. Just makes it that much funnier.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
and then your wife catching you doing it...

Avalon1984

Just born
Reaction score
77Herford said:
Horsiezz said:
I would of reccomended a good old quarter horse. The more foundation breeding it has, the better! Once I got my quarter horse mare, I never looked back. As with all this talk of crazy arabians, I hear you all! To me I think they are over bred and not too reliable. The only kind worth owning is ones from Polish descent. My mom used to say "I wouldnt take an arab if it was given to me" Well we ended up taking one out of a bad situation. He was literally untouched in 4 years besides to be gelded. Family was scared to death of him. They purchased their first horse, a morgan mare, and she was pregnant. We later found out the sire was a Polish arabian. The wife had a son at the time Spirit was born, the son had major health problems that turned out to be fatal and he soon died sadly. They spent all their time with him and forgot about the horses. He grew wild and attacked anyone who came in the pasture. Their daughters were scared and couldnt ride the mare or the other pony anymore. We picked him up and started training in the same week. By the end of the week I was on his back at a walk/trot. He was horrible to work with on the ground because of biting but undersaddle he was great. He loved having a job. He was so smart and picked up on things fast. We sold him to a friend and hes boarded at our barn. He got professionally trained a few months later and now hes back. He is a pistol and will buck if not rode often. He no longer bites. Hes a beautiful horse though and very smart and calm. Soon I visited a local Polish arab breeding farm, they train theres for Western Pleasure. They have 2 of the top ranked stallions in the U.S. they were soooo calm. You could walk in the stallions stalls and they would lower their heads and lick your hands like dogs. We walked right through their pasture and they were alll fiiendly as could be. We talked to the owners and they said that if you ever wanted to buy an arab, go Polish. Stay away from straight Egyptian and I think he said Crabbet. He said they were crazy. And from my experiences with them, I would agree! I'd take my grulla quarter horse mare any day. Good luck with your mustang mare. They are good trail mounts.
No need to put down other breeds. Arabian's of all lines are great horses. You just need to show them the proper respect.
Id have to agree. There are so many horse breeds and even though one tries to generalize what they are good for, what their temperaments are, etc, it still depends on the horses' upbringing and mentality. I have ridden every breed under the sun; I have seen crazy Arabs and extremely intelligent, personable Arabs. I breed draft horses and have seen many gentle ones, and I have come across some with a bad attitude and tendencies to kill people. I wish the OP best of luck and lots of fun with the new horse.

SoaringHawksFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Depends if you want a horse that trots or gaits.
Rocky Mountain horses need help as they are on the watch or critial list.
They have a nice gait too. You can also get Appaloosa's are nice and you can get a gaited one.
here is a link to a good App. breeder http://www.rockyhollowranch.net/index.html
check out this link it may or may not help you pick a breed either way it is a cool site
http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#horses
Either way best of luck and I hope you get a horse yall will be happy with.