What horse to get, hmmm.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
To help with suggestions, I am decent at riding western/pleasure style. I currently own a Gypsy Vanner mix mare, Paint Broodmare, two Connermera/Icelandic pony crosses and two weanlings from the Vanner and Paint.
The horses have lots of room as I rotate them between forty acres "when I have my friends horses" so room isn't an issue. I have four nice stalls in my barn.
I have been around several breeds of horses including: Quarter, Paint, Pinto, Arabian, Gypsy, Warmblood, Morgan, Rocky Mountain, and a few others.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I guess my first question is "Why don't you ride what you have?" Even if the two mares are bred, you can still ride until late in the pregnancy.
Anything wrong with the ponies? Both are breeds capable of carrying an adult easily, known for good riding qualities.

Secondly is what kind of riding do you plan to use new horse for? Are you planning to ride daily, doing it for exercise?

Do you have new friends to go riding with, that needs a horse dedicated to showing or trail rides away or doing long distances? A horse
you will need to keep "in training" so it is fit or groomed to compete?

If you just plan to ride the local roads, you have two horses and two ponies standing in the fields now. Should be good
for going a few miles every now and then at walking speed or trotting. Fine for if you just want to "go for a ride" in during the day or evening. We used
to ride the broodmare, foal stayed at home in a stall with a babysitter friend. Foal was calm and quiet, since we practiced taking mom away for
short times ahead, so her leaving was part of the routine after foal was about a month old. She foaled early, April, so foal was growthy, had
a better mind to learn, ate hay, than tiny foal born later would have to do those summer and fall rides down the road.

Just with what you already have, I would see no reason to buy another animal if they are usable. We can't help with advice unless we have more details.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Dear God I didn't need a critisim, lol. I do ride once or twice a week on my Paint in my other pastures with her foal at side. The Vanner isn't broke and the Ponies are too small for me. I'm a big guy. I use my ponies for my niece and nephew when they visit.
There will be no showing or anything fancy. I already said I ride Western style. I was just looking for casual suggestions on breeds as I would like another horse or two for my wife so she can ride at my level and for friends.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
really doesn't matter breed, grade is good, as long at it has the qualities you want, rides at the speed of your other horses, and is a size and tempermant you match with. JMO after 40 yrs in horses

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not critisizing, just asking why those horses would not work. I have six horses, adding another is more work for me. So I would choose to just use one I have, for any new horse activity if possible.

You never said you were too big for the ponies. Lots of folks ride ponies, and those breeds are common for adults to ride. I got it about the Western choice, but there are MANY kinds of ridden activities you can do in a Western saddle.

If you want to ride with wife, want new horses anyway, I suggest getting a couple well broke gaited horses. Those with a little age (9-16yrs) on them are usually VERY accepting of both minimal skilled riders and skilled riders. They would work for friends who may not ride well, and with no trotting, the riders seldom get sore. The breeds, Tennessee Walker, Missouri Fox Trotters, Speed Rackers, seem to be quite level headed, easy to live with, come in various sizes for larger and smaller riders. I would look to buy a couple, so you and wife can ride along together. Gaited horses, doing their speed gait, will quickly out-distance the normal trotting horse, and some cantering horses can't keep up either! No fun riding mis-matched speed horses. Have to hold one back and keep nagging the slow one, so no one is having fun.

You can often find gaited animals on Trail Ride group sites. However many Trail Riders put LOTS of miles on their horses in a week, so those horses are glad to stand around. Without those miles, such horses may be more "forward" than you would like. Be sure to ask how much they get worked daily or weekly. Gaited horses may also need a Farrier skilled in the needs of Gaited horses. The regular Western Farrier will probably want to take off WAY too much hoof wall, leaving too-short a toe and sore them up. Gaited horses have not been bred down to the small hooves common on QH, other Western breeds, so Farrier needs to trim and shoe them with longer hooves to keep them sound.

People with gaited horses really enjoy them, brag on the smooth ride and speed they travel. Then gloat when they get off and are never stiff!

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn't recomend a arabian. I never liked them before i had one and i have one and i still don't like them. they are high strung and will get away with anything u let them. Most people like them because they are so pretty and just look completly over personality. There may be certain indaviduals out there that are good, but i got the one told he was very good for an arabian and he's very good for an arabian but i still don't like him (no offense to u arabian breeders all the more power to u for putting up with them)

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Yeah, I've ridden one Tennessee Walker in my day and he was a nice ride. Been around mostly QH's and Arabian's so I'm trying to branch out. My Paint is no cutting horse but she helps me bring in the cattle if a bad storm is brewing.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
manybirds said:
I wouldn't recomend a arabian. I never liked them before i had one and i have one and i still don't like them. they are high strung and will get away with anything u let them. Most people like them because they are so pretty and just look completly over personality. There may be certain indaviduals out there that are good, but i got the one told he was very good for an arabian and he's very good for an arabian but i still don't like him (no offense to u arabian breeders all the more power to u for putting up with them)
You just gotta be smarter than they are ;)

I've been riding Arabians since I was 10 years old and in the 20+ years I've been involved with them, I've fallen in love. We discussed this on another thread, they are not high strung but they are sensitive and intelligent and not everyone wants a horse like that I will admit. Like not everyone wants a super intelligent dog like a border collie.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
michickenwrangler said:
manybirds said:
You just gotta be smarter than they are ;)

I've been riding Arabians since I was 10 years old and in the 20+ years I've been involved with them, I've fallen in love. We discussed this on another thread, they are not high strung but they are sensitive and intelligent and not everyone wants a horse like that I will admit. Like not everyone wants a super intelligent dog like a border collie.
I fully agree with you. Arabian's can make great all around horses. My sister has a sweet sorrel Polish Arabian mare and besides the bad trainer, I've never seen her behave badly.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
manybirds said:
:/
Don't even get me started.