what kind of animal is this?

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I'm no expert but if I had to choose between wolf or pure coyote I'd have to say wolf. But maybe coyotes vary in different parts of the country. That one is just way heavier boned and doesn't have quite the right carriage for all the coyotes I've ever seen, but to me it COULD pass for a wolf.

But since it could be a coy-dog and you toss in breeds like malamute or shepherd, as mentioned, that could be a possibility.

Do you ever hear howling? The howls I have heard have been very distinct from coyote to wolf.

Saying a wolf can't survive in Iowa is ridiculous though. They do quite well in harsher climates than that.

Either way ... You'd want to take serious
precautions with your animals. We have
packs of coyotes as well as a local group
of (pet) dogs who HAVE killed other
peoples livestock (led by a great pyr,
though not a very well bred one).

Fortunately he got into our pasture after
we fenced it and before we got livestock,
so we terrified the poor dog by chasing it
and making enough noise so he avoids
our place now, as well as showing us the
one place he could manage to get in with
the gate closed (and losing a good bit of
fur squeezing through it to escape us).
Either way though, I have to lock up the
animals at night. Good luck with your situation.

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Looks like a wolf to me or even a hybrid. I know Canadian wolves are much larger than say the Minnesota type wolf.

Either he's very hungry or just exploring the area. Most wolves avoid being seen.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Um, I get the impression that maybe the DNR guy was "officially designating" it a coyote for you on accounta there is a *season* on coyotes (at least most places). Whereas AFAIK in the lower 48 it is either illegal to shoot wolves period or "you can shoot a wolf if you catch it actively killing one of your animals but not just for being around" (varies among states)

?

Pat

chicken fruit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Looks like a coydog to me. Legs are a bit stocky and short for a wolf.

the funny farm6615

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
he was very dark almost black, where the coyotes around here are a redish color.

we have lots of coyotes around here, and as an after thought- we realized that for about 1-2 weeks before we saw him, that we haddent seen or heard any of the coyotes. and we started to see and hear them agin about a week after.

and one of the neighbores about 1 1/2 miles down the road thought they might of seen it, when it went across the road, one of those things that you catch out of the corner of you eye. but they werent sure. but the next morning when he was going to his barn @5:30 and he is sure he heard a wolf howl.

but it has not been seen or heard sence. i would have liked it to stay, but if he was passing threw, he may be back threw in the fall.

and for the wild life here, in the field where i took the pic, it is not unusual to see 30-40 deer in the fall! there is one BIG buck and 2-3 four to six pointers,and we have deer that come within 10 to 15 feet from the front porch. and the rabbits have been crazy the last few years!!

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Maybe a wolf then? Coyotes tend to stop howling and lay low when a wolf comes in. I thought of trying recorded wolf howls lol.

For that matter when I think about it, I wouldn't mind a lone wolf around here. They usually keep themselves away from people and he'd be no danger really to me or my livestock as I have them now but might keep the coyotes away. They even come out in the daytime sometimes and COULD snatch my livestock then. I can't keep them locked up 24/7.

I don't think I have much chance of that though lol. I'm a bit far south for any of them to show up.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That is a wolf and I would say I'm 99.9% positive. And your winters are too harsh for wolves?!??!?!?! Please!!!! I used to live up near Timmins, Ontario Canada, and those are some harsh winters. that is also where I have seen wolves.

My other .01% vote would be a coy dog, but I highly doubt it.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I say wolf, too. That's way bigger/bulkier than any coyote I've ever seen...but I'm in the Pacific Northwest.