What to Use For a Hog Pen?

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welded wire is garbage. I wouldn't use it on anything.
So I bought the Combo panels, and am now building the fence. Do I need to do anything fancy in the corners? or just connect the panels to a t-post? How far apart to space the t-posts? I'm thinking 1 post every 8 feet.

Thanks!

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think the combo panels would be great!

Are you planning on keeping breeders or just feeding out a couple of pigs each year? If you're keeping breeders year round then of course it would be great if you could move them around - but what a lot of work! I guess a lot of it depends on the size of your pen. If you're just keeping feeders for a few months and then sending them to slaughter I don't think you'd need to worry about it.
So I bought the Combo panels, and am now building the fence. Do I need to do anything fancy in the corners? or just connect the panels to a t-post? How far apart to space the t-posts? I'm thinking 1 post every 8 feet.

Thanks!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Corners, you might want to use a solid wood post and sink it deep. T-post every 8 feet would be good. What are the dimensions of the pen you are building? Will the pigs have a shelter and shade?

:thumbsup You are getting started! :clap

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Corners, you might want to use a solid wood post and sink it deep. T-post every 8 feet would be good. What are the dimensions of the pen you are building? Will the pigs have a shelter and shade?

:thumbsup You are getting started! :clap

Well, I just finished putting the fence up...so a little late for wood posts. :hide I just got a little impatient...:hide:hide:hide

I have just made the whole fence out of pallets in the past, do you think it would work to surround the corner of the fence with pallets as a brace?

It's 32' x 32'. Yes, I will build the shade/shelter soon.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of bracing did you use for the corners? If all you have for a corner is a single T-post, it may not be very sturdy. Is this going to be a temporary pen or a permanent one?

I looked for a good picture of my corners for the hog pen, but I don't have any, it's dark and I'm not going out there with a flashlight to take a picture. LOL So I found a picture of a corner when we were building fence.

img2352-jpg.16101

img2645-jpg.16102

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What kind of bracing did you use for the corners? If all you have for a corner is a single T-post, it may not be very sturdy. Is this going to be a temporary pen or a permanent one?

I looked for a good picture of my corners for the hog pen, but I don't have any, it's dark and I'm not going out there with a flashlight to take a picture. LOL So I found a picture of a corner when we were building fence.

img2352-jpg.16101

img2645-jpg.16102

On the pallet pig pen, it was just pallets.
On this one, it's currently just a t-post, but I'm thinking that won't be strong enough.
I'm using it for about 6 months...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
On the pallet pig pen, it was just pallets.
On this one, it's currently just a t-post, but I'm thinking that won't be strong enough.
I'm using it for about 6 months...
I like your idea of reinforcing it with pallets on the corners. That ought to hold it just fine.

Pigs are in a class of their own. Some would tear down a brick wall. We bought a 820 pound boar that was in a welded wire crap of a pen. He could have walked right through it if he wanted. We kept him 45 days, fed him soured corn, hay and boiled eggs. The pork chops hung off a plate. Hanging weight was 506 pounds. We got a LOT of meat!

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I like your idea of reinforcing it with pallets on the corners. That ought to hold it just fine.

Pigs are in a class of their own. Some would tear down a brick wall. We bought a 820 pound boar that was in a welded wire crap of a pen. He could have walked right through it if he wanted. We kept him 45 days, fed him soured corn, hay and boiled eggs. The pork chops hung off a plate. Hanging weight was 506 pounds. We got a LOT of meat!
Awesome. Do you think I should do it on the inside or the outside of the pen?

That's crazy! Was the meat really fatty?