Where do I learn show and pre-show techniques? (cattle)

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sounds like your off to a good start! Sara-lu and Reba did the same when in training. one at a time. With one tied. Stick with it. With all the advice and tips I got with this group. And I was new at everything. Still am. I never had a cow before in my life. County at heart City life though. But with this group Saralu came in 4th and Reba came in 5th for showing. First time too!!!! Good luck and lots of fun!!!!!! Were doing it again this year. I just got their halter and lead line again. They are alot bigger this year and their old ones didn't fit.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
m.holloway said:
sounds like your off to a good start! Sara-lu and Reba did the same when in training. one at a time. With one tied. Stick with it. With all the advice and tips I got with this group. And I was new at everything. Still am. I never had a cow before in my life. County at heart City life though. But with this group Saralu came in 4th and Reba came in 5th for showing. First time too!!!! Good luck and lots of fun!!!!!! Were doing it again this year. I just got their halter and lead line again. They are alot bigger this year and their old ones didn't fit.
Thats really good placings for first time, Great Job!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MReit said:
m.holloway said:
Thats really good placings for first time, Great Job!
I agree! :thumbsup

Don't forget to teach them to setup according to where the judge is. We would have one person play judge and they would move around. Sometimes standing in the middle of the circle and sometimes the outside. I'm not sure how beef setup for the judge but, with dairy they had to have their hind legs postition with one back and one forward depending on if they were a heifer or cow and where the judge stood. Anyone? Does it work that way for beef or does she not have to worry about it?

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
with our judges we had 2 differnt stand. one was 4 all straigth and the other was one of the hind leg alittle back then the other. Then they had to stand in a straight row one behind each other and finally side by side. Always with their head high. not letting them put their heads down.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ours are stopped square in a line (head to butt with space in between) and then lined up side by side, too. I just tried working with T-Bone and the show halter, and oh, what a fiasco. I haven't even tried the show stick yet.

I actually just emailed our association president to see if I can visit them and watch him work their calves for awhile, as I don't feel ready at all and think I need some help.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea.

Many don't like the show halter, at first. Just keep introducing it to him.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
when our fair comes to town we have a cattle camp and boy does that help. We go over what is going to asked and what they are looking for. It;s on fri,sat, sunday. the cattle stays at the fair grounds and the kids are there from 7 am till 9 pm. We wash, groom, walk them, practice the stands and have fun at the same time. We even have a guy come in and hoof trim of course at a price, but I think we get a fair deal. we also have contest and the kids get some really nice prize. Last year some one got a leather show halter and a groom kit for second place.

LavacaW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good luck and be sure to let us know how your cows did! I just hate it when there is no feedback and we are all left hanging! :bun

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did end up going over to our to another breeder's place yesterday for a few hours, met his entire herd and got to practice leading a calf and a heifer, and got a few tips on things I can do differently. Overall it sounds like I'm doing things correctly, but probably went too fast on T-Bone yesterday trying to get that show halter on him so I'm rolling that back. I think instead I'll put it on the ground while he's eating his grain tonight and let him sniff it, and then see if I can lead him while the show halter is on my opposite arm. I did hear some "horror" stories about showing the other breeder's animals, including a 2-year old bull who threw a total conniption fit in the ring and still came in Reserve Champion Bull for that show! Amazing. As long as I and the calves don't get hurt (or hurt eachother) in this process, I think we'll probably be ok...I just need to practice more frequently and be more patient. :D

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah some judges are crazy in my opinion. I mean I know they like a very alert animal, but some cattle in the ring just act wild and I don't think they would deserve a great placing, but do anyways. I've noticed that in beef judges much more then dairy. I've always had a problem keeping my animals awake in the ring because they get so relaxed, judges don't like that either..lol I can't help it they were comfortable/happy!