Where to find LGD's in Florida?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @PetSheep and welcome to BYH. The OP hasn't been online/onsite since February 2013, so I doubt they'll be returning. @Southern by choice is still active and one of the site's leading LGD authorities. I'm pretty sure the same recommendations would hold true now as back then... Craigs list, local newspapers; either in print or online sale section, you could talk to some vet offices as sometimes they'll know of breeders or folks who have or are planning to have puppies. Since it's working dogs you want, I'd concentrate on vets with large animal practices who deal with farm animals rather than specializing on pets.

There's also a wealth of knowledge and experiences shared in the various threads under the section on Livestock Guardians... I'm sure the purchase of an LGD is not going to be a "rush" decision on your part, so I'd recommend you read as much as you can and apply what you learn in your search for an LGD. They are not all created equal. Again, glad you joined us!

PetSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
EXCELLENT thanks for your reply - I contacted two friends of mine for advice -one trains herding dogs - another trains all other animals except water mammals -

I will definitely take your advice and read the LG section - I might wait until "fall" to get a dog - I see you are in CO - beautiful state - it does get cold where I live and we do get hard freezes - We have 3 vet offices in my small town and I have known two of them for 40+ years - my vet is 1 mile away - so I will check with her too -

Thanks again for the advice I want to make the best decision for Poopie and Muffin [pictured] and the furry who will call this place home too -

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a FYI. LGD's are very different and very few trainers of herding dogs or obedience trainers are familiar with these dogs. One CANNOT train up a LGD like an obedience dog or a herding dog.

I know as I have trained all the above. I am NOT skilled in actual herding (mean trials etc). These breeds are wired completely different and that is why so many screw them up.

LGD's are highly intuitive, extremely smart, extremely stubborn and pig headed. There whole relationship is based on trust. One must see the LGD as a PARTNER.

Later I will be updating some threads... maybe tonight maybe tomorrow or so. Some of the things I will share will maybe, give you some insight. ;)

Reactions: TAH

PetSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is good info to know - and what I wrote was not clear - I contacted the trainers more for networking - both of them are friends of mine and both should know people who breed or have LGD - I didn't make it clear that I wasn't contacting regarding training - and ironically, I have never discussed LGD with either of them -

Someone mentioned reading a book on LGD - it is listed on one of the threads - my library does not have this book so I will probably purchase this weekend -

Thanks for the input - this will be a dog or pair I will have for years so I need to research for months and make the best informed decision - looking forward to reading more info from you - Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind IF any book tells you hands off, no eye contact etc. Throw the book in the trash.
I do not recommend any of the books out there... there may be a good one but the worst part is most have some good info but then a lot of really bad info.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@PetSheep if you will click on the OP's name, a box will pop up with options. Click on Start A Conversation and you can send the OP a message. This will send an email alert to the OP and possibly bring him/her? back to this thread. Then you may be able to find out more local information.

I hope you find the dogs of your dreams! I live in northeast Texas and it is hot here too. I have 2 GP's and they do just fine, even in the heat. I water them down a hole in the dirt daily and that gives them a cool place to wallow in. Welcome to BYH and I hope you stick around and become part of the family.

PetSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi @Baymule - I just contacted the original poster - Thanks!

@Southern by choice - here is the book that was suggested on another LGD post -

Livestock Protection Dogs - Selection, Care, and Training -
http://www.amazon.com/Livestock-Pro...922443&sr=1-1&keywords=livestock+guardian+dog

My library did not have this book when I checked their catalog online - I went there today and they don't have one book on LGD - which surprises me b/c I live in a mainly AG area - there are even sheep as far down as Tampa -

I'm just beginning my research and we are coming up on the hottest months of the year and hurricane season - plus the fencing in being redone in several areas -

I've never had sheep before - we had goats when I was a kid and I had a few as an adult a few years ago - I bought them to eat briers and weeds - I didn't realize if they had good grass they would never touch briers - I really like sheep and they are not as destructive as goats - unless they are around citrus trees which they love to de-bark -

Oh well, learning curve!!