White Muscle Disease? 4/5 month buckling

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello, all. I haven't been around for a long time. Wouldn't you know, I show-up with a problem. DD Kimmy and I adopted a 1/2 Nigie buckling from a city-girl from NJ living in the "boonies" of South Carolina. He was about 3(?) or so months old when we got him almost 2 months ago. We wormed him when we first brought him home. He has been eating well, and trying to make friends with our 2 wethered boys. Suddenly about 5 days ago he started to stumble, which rapidly progressed to falling, and now he cannot stand or walk. We have given him electrolytes, thiamine complex injections, and a selenium/vitamin E gel (2cc). He seems happy, hungry, energetic, and as affectionate as ever, but he cannot stand or walk. It was day 3 before we gave him the selenium, but he was still walking (drunkenly). Now, he tries to stand, but just can't. Does anyone have any ideas that don't involve much $$? Those of you who remember me know we live on next to nothing. Anyone???
@Latestarter, @Southern by choice, @babsbag, @Baymule, @OneFineAcre, sooo many more?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't had this exact problem, but what you have done sounds great, I would give him some B 12 liquid orally, power punch, lamb and kid , all should help him with energy and stregnth. I would exercise his legs and hold him up in a standing position while moving his legs also....let me tag a few others for suggestions @OneFineAcre. @fustratedearthmother @Goat girl @rachels.haven @Beekissed
So sorry you are having these problems, please keep us posted

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it's white muscle disease an injection of BoSe would be better than the selenium gel. But, it would involve a vet and prescription.
I would say to keep doing what you are doing.
Although, I though white muscle disease was more a problem with newborns. At least that's all I've dealt with.
Maybe goat polio or listeriosis?

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am heartbroken to hear of Latestarter's passing, and will post to his tribute page (even though, of course, he would have said a tribute was silly).

Hauk (Norse for hawk) is doing very much the same. I'm thinking maybe we stopped the selenium problem, also called Nutritional Muscular Dystrophy, in time to prevent death, but too late to prevent paralysis. My DH is already talking about building him a walker. We will probably wether him, soon, since paralysis may make rut an unpleasant experience, but otherwise, he seems happy! I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your responses.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, any updates? I lost a 2 1/2 months old buckling. He was fine until all of a sudden he started falling forward. He was dead the next day.

Latest posts