Who's hatching right now?

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a lagging silkie left . I candled this morning and I still see movement but hasn't internally pipped. It's day 23 so I'm sure she won't.

I had some malpositions this round, had to assist 2, slowly over days. One pipped externally opposite end ... stinks when they lose the space of the air cell. Those were all particular breed eggs-- all females that struggled. Those weren't silkies.

Were these all silkies? They can be hard to hatch, especially if they have high vaults..just can't quite make that turn. I end up assisting a lot of my silkies. And those wrong end pippers! Little stinks. Those are hard to do. Have to take a really long time with those to assist, usually because they pip too early and have a lot of blood left to absorb..and yolk. :/
I would go ahead and assist that one that hasn't hatched!

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1826749413pizapw1494736660.jpg

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well then! I thought there might be another egg that had pipped..I just couldn't see it. I knew it was loud, now I can see it's zipping..not the blue, it's still pipped the same. This egg that is zipping, is an egg that I honestly didn't think would make it. It's a small..long.. egg..and the air sac went way up high on one side. We just never know. Can't wait to see it. Photos of my chickie Mother's Day gift in a while. Come on, be a Nn! Special baby that I didn't think would make it. :)

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, it hatched, and well, it is fully feathered. No Nn. It's cute though..of course! Yellow, I see black in the wings already.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Crsch1888,

It's externally pipped, so it should have air. I had one that did this and had no problems getting out. I had another that could not, without intervention.

Monitor-- don't intervene too quickly... wait, did I understand that is the edge of the air cell? If so, it should be fine. I thought it was a different person writing that--
My experience was a malposition and the small end pip, not near the air cell.

[can you tell this is a reply?]

Last edited:

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Were these all silkies? They can be hard to hatch, especially if they have high vaults..just can't quite make that turn. I end up assisting a lot of my silkies. And those wrong end pippers! Little stinks. Those are hard to do. Have to take a really long time with those to assist, usually because they pip too early and have a lot of blood left to absorb..and yolk. :/
I would go ahead and assist that one that hasn't hatched!

Okay thanks. The ones that were stuck weren't silkies. I lost one that was a stripper, though... it pipped, started to zip. I was at work and returned to finding it had passed. One with a vault did well. No idea the one in the shell. The 3 I assisted were female Welbars. I took my time, of course... all malpositioned- feet completely over heads and in face, wrapped around . Never had to do so much intervening.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
IMG_1582.JPG
Ha, realized why these 2/3 day old chicks weren't getting the water bottle concept! Lol, I forgot to pop the top to allow air flow...
Guess I'm the slow one.

Auroradream26

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have cream crested legbars hatching today along with lavender ameraucanas and silkied black and lavender ameraucanas :) I have 2 more hatches of legbars and ameraucanas and 1 wild turkey egg (that a neighbor found) due in 2 weeks lol