Who's hatching right now?

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is the reason I intend to do a modification after I complete the incubation. I'll attach a PVC net (the one you get when you buy oranges and potatoes) over the top. This time I just covered the thing with the net and I hope for the best. If it won't work, I'll just take the duckling out ASAP. I'll try to be as close as possible on hatch day. :)

I'm not sure if it would work for you, but you could easily modify it-- for my incubator, during lockdown, I take a large piece of felt and cut lines in it (for airflow). I place it on the mesh that the eggs sit in during hatching. This allows me to increase humidity more easily, and it gives them something better to grip . This would easily protect the feet of your ducks and just toss it after hatch!

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two feathered NN's..and 2 NN's. The feathered carry the gene. I guess if I had a rooster, and one was a girl, I could get me a NN or two from eggs. :) When BYC is back up, will have to ask, but only makes sense. Anyway, several pips. Looks like most will hatch on day 21 tomorrow. Or of course, through the night into tomorrow. o_O No sleep for me..oh well, it's like Christmas with these. Hoping the next one zipping is a Nn. Nn..meaning, NN with a bow tie. :)

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So tomorrow at 3pm is day 21 on the Langshan/Java eggs. I was getting nervous that there have been no chirps coming from the bator. So I did a quick candle. About 80% have internally pipped, the others are pushing up on the air cell. What a difference from last time with malpositions!

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are hatching at the same time Angie. Nice when they do this on their own right?

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, this one was fast. Another Nn. :thumbsup

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love feeding little chicks fermented feed. Though it's not very fermented, just barely. Only drawback is their nasty feet. I can't believe how much they eat! An entire mason jar by day 2 for 14 chicks!

crsch1888

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everybody:frow so yesterday morning my little silky pipped externally & I let it be until I noticed the membrane was starting to turn color, so just now I took it out & placed on damp towel & carefully pulled away the yellowish membrane & chipped off a bit of shell, the membrane is white under the shell, the little gal is chirping some at me, I gave her a decent hole to breathe & hopefully take over. I placed back in bator & put a damp paper towel loosely over her. There was no sign of blood at all. How long should I go before helping more? None of my other silkies have pipped yet, I don't know if they have died or what:hu oh & the pip this chick made is like more on the side of the egg instead of up at the top.

Dpenning

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If its Coturnix, You have to sit on them to hurt them. Seriously, in my experience the only problem was the waterer. I put 3/8 SS nuts in it to keep the little boogers from drowning.
Well, I have used the mama heating pad for all my chicken hatches so Iowered it a bit and stuffed them under last night. When I went out this morning, 6 of 7 of them were splayed out on the floor of the brooder away from MHP. I hooked up a heat lamp and they are all out under the heat lamp now. Hope the cold ones recover. :( It is a white light which i've read is not so good for these guys, so I'll go by an IR one for night time.

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm...Mother's Day gifts? :)
Yep!! and i didnt even do it on purpose !

11 chicks hatched....abysmal hatch rate....would be worse if I hadn't 'helped' 4-5 of them.
2 of 5 OE, 8 of 15 Marans, 1 of 12 EE.
Not sure I've got it in me to open all the unhatched eggs for clues to figure out why they didn't hatch.
Glad I only hatch a batch or two once a year...tho maybe I'd be better at it with more practice.
:hugs

throw that red plug in the trash.

6 pips so far in my 38 lav orp eggs.
Agreed! Red plugs are BAD
and congrats!!

I woke up to two itty bitty babies and another has just come out. Quail are so tiny it is amazing. Hope I can keep them all alive. Things this small are a little scary!
they are so tiny!! Congrats!!

Man! Got woke up to a very loud peep this morning. I jumped out of bed thinking for sure I had had a chick hatch. Nope, that little stinker made noise all morning long. Now it's settled down. It's pipped. It's my only blue..NN egg! So funny, as soon as I heard it this morning I thought, I hope it's the blue egg, I hope it's the blue egg. Whoot! Now the wait. Due date tomorrow. The pip hasn't changed. I can't even think of how many times I will be in there today checking on that pip. lol..now, if it will just be a Nn and not fully feathered..could go either way..but, most of this guys birds sold as NN are NN, or Nn..the ones I like with bow ties..so I have a pretty good chance. Was a time when I said, I would NEVER own a NN. But when they have a nice bow tie, I love them! Very hardy birds, even in the winter. Usually very sweet birds too.
:celebrate

View attachment 34084 Ha, realized why these 2/3 day old chicks weren't getting the water bottle concept! Lol, I forgot to pop the top to allow air flow...
Guess I'm the slow one.
lol oops!

Not being familiar with certain terminology can you help me with the meaning of "NN Eggs" and "EE Eggs"? Thank you very much.

NN is the more naked of naked necks:
files.php

Nn is with a bowtie/less naked
b7aeb2a0fa73.jpg

*not my images

AngieNPeeps, it's a cheap chinese incubator from Aliexpress . Got it for 20 USD. It doesn't have humidity sensor, so I bought el-cheapo 2 USD humidity/temperature sensor as well.

I was worried about it at first when I got it, but it looks like it works. I hope they hatch. :)

BTW, it says you can incubate 7 eggs - no way. If you try to place 7 eggs inside, you can't turn them at all. 4 eggs (duck size) are a max, 3 eggs are even better.
i was wondering how duck eggs would work in there, good luck!!

Not my post but I'm thinking naked neck and easter egger.
yep

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Dozclan12

got my first Nn baby! (or at least i think it is Nn, didnt look that closely- i was running late for work)

img_3743-jpg.34239