Who's hatching right now?

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My hatch is done. Whew. Long night. I have 13 little babies..only 2 were fully feathered. So, a lot of NN's and Nn's. I know which ones of the Nn's I'm keeping! Oh, I started with 20 shipped eggs. Not a bad hatch for shipped. I am so mad at myself. Was watching one, that had pipped a hole. I don't like holes. Usually means trouble, especially when they just sit like that for hrs. and just wriggle the egg shell. Well, a piece fell off, so I figured it was going to start to zip. It did after a while. Slowly. I had to check on my son that just had surgery. I wasn't even that long! I went back to see how far it had come along. It was almost half way..I thought oh good. Then I watched...no breathing movements. I hurried and took it out. Too late. Ugh. That has not happened in a long time. That baby was too tired to finish, had his head down too far, and couldn't get enough oxygen..a guess, but that's what it looked like to me. Had barely passed. Everything absorbed, blood and yolk. Did I say Ugh! :/
65% is great for shipped!! Congrats on all the babies!! sorry about the lost ones:hugs

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are hatching at the same time Angie. Nice when they do this on their own right?

Yes! This is awesome! I can see 4 pips / zips started. I may be missing some. How's yours progressing?

walkswithdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Don't I wish.

Instead I'm in "fox in the hen house mode" , to replace 7 lost hens and five lost chicks. Since I only had the itty-bitty brinsea which only holds seven eggs, I hurriedly slapped together a second still air incubator with parts I had around and some reptile heat cord for good measure.
I put in eggs of any age that I still have and have my fingers crossed. The still air appears to be cycling normally. God bless the reptitherm thermostats, it takes a lot of the anxiety out of getting and holding the right temp. With any luck I can at least come close to replacing the group. :confused::mad::fl

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
On that note... when they miss the internal pip, they lose that additional wiggle room... is there a way/ is it a good idea to open the air cell? Or is it pointless and remain lodged below it?

walkswithdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Most remain lodged below it. Some get shifted around but it's not as common as some little idiot stuck trying to come out the middle or the wrong end.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Most remain lodged below it. Some get shifted around but it's not as common as some little idiot stuck trying to come out the middle or the wrong end.

I'm sorry, I mean while assisting a malpo. I had a couple that I had to work on that took forever. I wondered if there is a benefit to opening the aircells after they've pipped below it (once the decision to intervene was made).

Last edited:

crsch1888

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_0213.JPG
Ok, I just got done taking off more of the membrane, there's not been much blood at all just what you see in the pic where the little vein is. She's still chirping, which is good I'm hoping. I put her back in bator to rest & warm again. Not sure how long to have out at a time. Should I put another damp towel loosely over her again? Thanks for all your help! I'm so scared I'm going to hurt it :\

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
View attachment 34352 Ok, I just got done taking off more of the membrane, there's not been much blood at all just what you see in the pic where the little vein is. She's still chirping, which is good I'm hoping. I put her back in bator to rest & warm again. Not sure how long to have out at a time. Should I put another damp towel loosely over her again? Thanks for all your help! I'm so scared I'm going to hurt it :\
No, I be at you see it pop out soon on its own