Why didn't you guys warn me?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure where you are hanging them, but we had hanging cages....we just fastened a level 2x4 on the wall, put the cages on that ledge while adjusting the chains....that way it only takes one person to do the job. The 2x4 stabilizes the cages so they don't jiggle or sway and it's not a deep enough ledge to collect much poop.

If you use S hooks or other clips, it's as simple as hanging your chains before hand and just hooking the clip into the chains at whatever link makes them level.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not sure where you are hanging them, but we had hanging cages....we just fastened a level 2x4 on the wall, put the cages on that ledge while adjusting the chains....that way it only takes one person to do the job. The 2x4 stabilizes the cages so they don't jiggle or sway and it's not a deep enough ledge to collect much poop.

If you use S hooks or other clips, it's as simple as hanging your chains before hand and just hooking the clip into the chains at whatever link makes them level.
I don't know if the picture shows it well. In the process of hanging cages. No wall. No ledge. And the rafters where chains are hooked, they are sloped for water runoff, so no level. Two rows, front and back, with about a 2' walkway between.
But like I said. Successful, pretty darn level, and nobody's got to like the way it looks but me and the rabbits. So, I call this one a win.
Oh, by the way, its all on a pretty sharp hill (everything is on a hill here) so the ground falls away toward the back and to the right. But the shed IS level.
20191208_100023.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is well braced and looks like any bunny would like to "hang" out there.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me too :D

Not making eggnog at the moment, 1 egg per day is the usual and they must be saved for Christmas Cookies. Though .... there were TWO eggs in the closed nest box at 8 AM AND Aurora (Austra White with a huge comb and an even bigger mouth) hopped up into one of the open boxes and scratched around. IF there is an egg there, I'll know it is hers. SUPPOSED to be white to light brown and I've not seen anything like that yet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are you going to put around your rabbit barn? You will need to enclose it as predators such as raccoons, dogs, etc can kill the rabbits even through the wire cages. If a dog is under the cages, jumping up to nip at their feet, a doe can stomp her kits to death, jumping in the nest box to protect them. A solid wall on the north side and partial solid wall with wire for ventilation for the other 3 sides would be good.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What are you going to put around your rabbit barn? You will need to enclose it as predators such as raccoons, dogs, etc can kill the rabbits even through the wire cages. If a dog is under the cages, jumping up to nip at their feet, a doe can stomp her kits to death, jumping in the nest box to protect them. A solid wall on the north side and partial solid wall with wire for ventilation for the other 3 sides would be good.
I planned to use tarps (retractable ) all around. To be raised ot lowered as needed. You must be from Texas or somewhere, talking about that solid north wall. We have the Appalachian mountains to our west, all the way from Georgia below us into New England. Weather funnels around the lower end of the mountains or up from the gulf. All our weather comes from the south, from gentle zephyrs to full on storms....unless there is a hurricane on the coast and then from the east. The shed is placed bearing (lengthwise) from s.e to n.w, to best capture breezes in summer and give smallest and most easily protected profile in winter. Also gives best exposure to afternoon sun in winter (there's NO exposure to morning sun, ever, due to forest) And in summer, afternoon sun is blocked by MORE deciduous trees.
As to preditors, I already plan to put rat/ snake guards on the posts. Dogs, etc? As I've mentioned before, not that she's a LGD, my dog is fiercely protective of her area, and I truly believe it would be a "kill or die" scenario if a predator should challenge her territory.

Latest posts