Why does beekeeping have to be so dang complicated?

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know if I should look in hive #2 for queen cells or not. If they swarmed, then they may not have a mated queen yet. Normal looking entrance behavior, bringing in pollen, orientation flights, etc. I have to get in there to add the 2nd mite treatment, so maybe I'll take a quick peek.

The cluster outside hive #1 is about 100 bees, not very big. There is still a lot of entrance activity on Hive #1, bees hanging out on the front porch, etc.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got into Hive #2 today and gave them their 2nd mite treatment and filled their feeder. Bee population is certainly down, but everything looks normal at the entrance. Pollen coming in, etc. And as a side note: Holy moly this hive can make propolis!

Hive #1 is still confusing me. Some pollen is coming in, but there are about 50 or so bees camped on the porch. The opening is down to 1 bee width, and has been for quite a while. Bees can get through the 1 bee entrance, or at each side where the reducer doesn't fully go to the edge of the hive and a bee can squeeze between. I pulled up a couple of frames in the top box and I spotted the queen on the 2nd frame. A normal looking large queen. I didn't see any brood, but since I saw the queen, I wasn't too worried about it. They are taking from the internal feeder and filling cells, so that looked fine. I brushed the bees residing on the screen into the hive.

I'm still guessing this was a usurpation swarm. I suppose all I can do is wait and see what happens. I'll have to start learning how to mark queens.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I met another local beekeeper Tuesday. He works with Randy Oliver, so a super wealth of knowledge. He helps manage 2,000 plus hives and has 20 of his own. He even offered to come and treat my hive for mites for me. I told him I've already treated, but he said anytime he would come do an alcohol wash and see what the mite loads are. I thanked him and told him I really need to start learning to mark queens.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Why mark your queens?
Are you raising queens? Practice marking drones.:D =D

I'm home sick today, so forgive me if I sound peckish :hide

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you're sick. Hope you heal up quick.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Latestarter!

Sorry about that post, Happy Chooks! I forgot what this thread was about in the first place. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you practice on drones next drone season, you'll get the skills to manage your Queens without putting them in danger.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20160508_094452.jpg

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Getcha one of those thingys, and the right uniposca pen for the year color you want to use.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just thought it would be handy to keep track. If my queen had been marked, I'd know for sure if I had a usurpation swarm or not. Still think I did, but can't prove it.

How do you get the queen in the queen marking thingy?

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The blue gate is supple, like vinyl. You pull it down with your thumb so that the circle is open. Pull the foam plunger down with your index finger, to give the queen plenty of room . You hold the frame with a queen on it in one hand, and you put the open circle over the queen with the other hand, trapping her against the comb. Wait and watch carefully until she climbs up the wall of the queen catcher then use your thumb to slide the blue gate closed and you've got her!
Do not cut the queen in half with the blue gate!:ep