Why does my Nigerian Dwarf goat faint?

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
View attachment 52681
He looks like a sweetie pie!!!! Here are mine above your quote. They both came from the same farm, but different dams and sires. The one I’m speaking of is the light one. Her name is Sugar and the darker one is Spice. She is also pictured in my avatar. Do you think she looks like she could be a mini silkie?
I'm so sorry. It is www.msfgaregistry.org.They have to be long-haired to be registered in the MSFGA registry because long hair is what they are going for. If you search for mini silky fainting goats and look at some of the breeder websites you will find some that have short haired silkys. Many of them are sold unregistered or registered as nigerians. Look at this page and it will tell you. https://msfgaregistry.org/msfga-history. Some sire who fainted were registered with AGS. Sugar and Spice are very pretty. I love the color of spice. Mine have collars and run with chickens too. By the way mini silkys were bred from long haired nigerians crossed with long haired Tennessee Fainting goats.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Actually under the ADGA rules they can not be registered if there is any fainting goat in them.
Not sure what your papers say or from what registry they are registered.

ADGA is what the papers say.

One step at a time.
Does the breeder test for CAE?

From her website, it doesn’t look like it.

The heart check is simple, just takes a stethoscope and a listen. A severe murmur is easily detected.
Yes, you want to wait 6-8 months before testing for CAE- use a reputable lab.

I have a stethoscope. I will give a listen today when I go out to trim their hooves. Wish me luck, it’s my first time. Lol

Selenium deficiency can cause heart issues as well as infections early in age. Since they are very young the infection aspect would be doubtful.
Thiamine is can be a factor when you see unstable walking.

For the life of me I can’t figure out if we are selenium deficient in my area. I gave them both a dose of Selenium and Vitamin E earlier this week just in case. Thiamine has to do with Vitamin B correct? Is there a way to give that without an injection bc I haven’t done one of those yet and it makes me nervous.

It is possible somewhere along the line a fainter was in there, however PB Nigerian Dwarf should have no evidence of such.

Ugh ... for me would have been the best case scenario.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. It is www.msfgaregistry.org.They have to be long-haired to be registered in the MSFGA registry because long hair is what they are going for. If you search for mini silky fainting goats and look at some of the breeder websites you will find some that have short haired silkys. Many of them are sold unregistered or registered as nigerians. Look at this page and it will tell you. https://msfgaregistry.org/msfga-history. Some sire who fainted were registered with AGS. Sugar and Spice are very pretty. I love the color of spice. Mine have collars and run with chickens too. By the way mini silkys were bred from long haired nigerians crossed with long haired Tennessee Fainting goats.
Wow, I’m learning a lot. I had no idea there were long haired nigies! My chickens and goats get along great, although it’s been hell keeping the goats out of the chicken coop. No matter how small we make the door, it’s not small enough! They have magic powers to make their bones collapse or something. Lol So, I’ve been forced to keep it closed during the day with only the upper door open for the chickens to get in and out.

Thank you! Spice does have gorgeous coloring. I felt bad wethering him, but couldn’t justify having a buck with just one doe.
8BCDB141-9FBA-4F14-BB1F-6673CB20D28F.png

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@MiniSilkys what registry allows this? There are not long haired or short haired Nigerians. Nigerians may have some longer hair some have shorter but they are dairy animals, bred for dairy. It is not a variety or a "mix" breed for that. ADGA and AGS do not allow anything but Purebred Nigerian, they have CLOSED herdbooks.

Not sure what registry Mini Silky's is talking about. What registry are your goats registered with? The Nigerian is no longer a "new" breed so any Myotonic would be non existant.
Nigerians do not faint. You should contact the breeder. What did the other goats look like where you got them? Did they have other breeds? Is this a oops breeding?

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What registry are your goats registered with? The Nigerian is no longer a "new" breed so any Myotonic would be non existant.
Nigerians do not faint. You should contact the breeder. What did the other goats look like where you got them? Did they have other breeds? Is this a oops breeding?

She will be registered through the AGDA. I I’m definitely going to contact the breeder. I just want to get my thoughts a little more organized before I do so. I mistakenly answered your previous questions within your quote. I hope it’s not too convoluted to figure out. I answered in bold, but it didn’t provide the contrast I was looking for.

The goats looked amazing. Her farm was beautiful and clean. She gave me a tour and explained that she started out raising mini Nubians but is exclusively raising Nigerians now. I observed mostly Nigerians with just a few mini Nubian does, no Nubian kids. My doeling’s sire is onsite, along with another Nigerian buck. Both of her parents have ID numbers on the papers, as well as the breeder. Her father is a grand champion and her grand-dam is an Elite Milker, whatever those mean. When I say her farm was beautiful, it really was. And except for one goat that had a skin condition (that she said she was going to sell as a pet) the goats looked very happy and healthy.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just so you know I was not suggesting any deception on the breeders part... more looking at what registry etc. There are some registries that are not mainstream and allow mixed Nigerians.
Always good to call the breeder and let them know. It is odd.
Because you are new to goats, it is best to find a vet, have an exam done as well as fecal. This establishes relationship with a vet as well. Trust me- with goats, you will have an emergency at some point and you will want to have established some form of relationship with your vet.

Amazing beautiful farms still can have CAE, CL, and Johnes. :) Always keep that in mind.

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just so you know I was not suggesting any deception on the breeders part... more looking at what registry etc. There are some registries that are not mainstream and allow mixed Nigerians.
Always good to call the breeder and let them know. It is odd.
Because you are new to goats, it is best to find a vet, have an exam done as well as fecal. This establishes relationship with a vet as well. Trust me- with goats, you will have an emergency at some point and you will want to have established some form of relationship with your vet.

Amazing beautiful farms still can have CAE, CL, and Johnes. :) Always keep that in mind.
I didn’t take it that way. I’m just trying to give as much info as possible. I have a vet and have had fecals done about a month and a half ago. She had diarrhea and tested pos for cocci.

Did you get a chance to scroll up and read the post that I quoted you and answered you within the quote? I don’t mean to be a pest, I appreciate this forum so much and I remember you helped me before too. I took out their baking soda bc of good info you gave me. Lol

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@MiniSilkys what registry allows this? There are not long haired or short haired Nigerians. Nigerians may have some longer hair some have shorter but they are dairy animals, bred for dairy. It is not a variety or a "mix" breed for that. ADGA and AGS do not allow anything but Purebred Nigerian, they have CLOSED herdbooks.

Not sure what registry Mini Silky's is talking about. What registry are your goats registered with? The Nigerian is no longer a "new" breed so any Myotonic would be non existant.
I was not suggesting there was a long haired variety of nigerians. Just simply stating that the goats picked to produced the mini silky breed were long haired nigerians and long haired tennessee fainters. The mini silky breed was started with "Gingerwood" an AGS registered Nigerian dwarf buck who was sired by an AGS foundation Nigerian buck named "Cheedy", whose sire "Jessie" fainted. Gingerwood even had long bangs. Bayshore's "Napoleon Maraco" was a registered Nigerian buck who had long hair. courtesy of msfgaregistry.org

IstaItan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pardon my ignrance, but fainting is caused by a myotonic gene mutation... This mutation has been found in other species including humans. In that context, being purebred may actually increase the likelyhood of uncovering a recessive mutation due to selective breeding practices. Am I missing the mark here? Not disputing that it could also be a disease process, but it seems more likely that your little one is the byproduct of a pairing that resulted in a recessive expression. I'd let the breeder know, thiugh, as this is apparently an undesirable manifestation and thus they sjosho consider either culling or at least no longer pairing the parents.

Just my minimally informed two cents...