Why is my goat scratching his nose so bad a ripping all of the fur off of it?

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My billy goat just started loosing hair on his nose one day...it was the area between his eyes and nose, now, some hair is growing back, but the main area between his nose and eyes still has no hair. My mom said that he is probably scratching his nose, because there is something itching it. I watched him for a while one day, and he just would scratch his nose on the wood walls of his stall. Why is he doing this? I started giving him more more loose minerals and some more grain, but it hasn't been helping much. The picture is after about a week of having a ripped up nose, it is a bit better now.

Sorry for the bad picture, its the only one I have rn.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 104

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are a few possibilities:

1. Boredom. Is he an only goat? Does he have space, a bunch of bushes to chew on?

2. Some kind of parasite... lice, mites...

3. Something in his environment that is causing irritation.

my other thoughts....

A lack of copper causes some hair loss around the eyes... and the bridge of the nose... but not usually around the nose...Copper deficiency does not result in such intense scratching as you describe. So, I do not think copper deficiency is causing the issue.

If he has access to loose minerals, that he eats on occasion, then he is probably fine.

Loose minerals, formulated for goats,, will have everything he needs, UNLESS you are in an area that is low in copper or selenium. But, as I already said... it does not sound like your goat's itching is copper related. Selenium deficiency also does not result in itching.

So... I do not think the itching is a mineral thing. However, it would be good for you to look up if your area of the world is low in copper or selenium. If you are not sure, then ask your local agriculture extention office.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He has urine scald from peeing on his face so much. The fact that he is scratching his face on the wood doesn't help the situation. Yes, is he your only goat? Do you have does to breed to him?

Here's more info on urine scald and how to treat it:

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
There are a few possibilities:

1. Boredom. Is he an only goat? Does he have space, a bunch of bushes to chew on?

2. Some kind of parasite... lice, mites...

3. Something in his environment that is causing irritation.

my other thoughts....

A lack of copper causes some hair loss around the eyes... and the bridge of the nose... but not usually around the nose...Copper deficiency does not result in such intense scratching as you describe. So, I do not think copper deficiency is causing the issue.

If he has access to loose minerals, that he eats on occasion, then he is probably fine.

Loose minerals, formulated for goats, will have everything he needs, UNLESS you are in an area that is low in copper or selenium. But, as I already said... it does not sound like your goat's itching is copper related. Selenium deficiency also does not result in itching.

So... I do not think the itching is a mineral thing. However, it would be good for you to look up if your area of the world is low in copper or selenium. If you are not sure, then ask your local agriculture extention office.
He started ripping apart his nose after the snow came, so in October sometime, that was when he didn't get to graze for food, and munch on weeds all day. I moved him into the barn in November. I have 4 other goats, but they are females, and I only breed them once a year normally in April. So he is by himself most of the time, but he can see the other goats through the fence. I was thinking it was mites or something, but from what I read, if he had mites he would loose hair in more places like under his legs, etc. so I didn't think it was that, but it could be. I contacted my local agriculture extension office and they have not responded yet. Thanks for your help:)

Here is a picture of him that I took today, you can't see it very well, but he does have white fur growing back on his nose.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 111

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He has urine scald from peeing on his face so much. The fact that he is scratching his face on the wood doesn't help the situation. Yes, is he your only goat? Do you have does to breed to him?

Here's more info on urine scald and how to treat it:
That makes so much sense, thanks a bunch!!!

Latest posts