Why worming is important

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That's one serious worm! And with that size, you know there have to be more :barnie:sick Actually it's a good thing you found it... At least you know you have a problem and can deal with it before it gets completely out of hand. I have a strong stomach, but wiggling intestines in a dead animal gives me the creeps... Thinking the guy in the ships dining room in the movie Alien...

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OMG that is insane! I have never seen anything quiet like that! Good on your for being proactive. The only symptom we have ever seen from worms is poop on the fence. Poop all over the fence is a clear sign of an itchy behind. I have never actually seen the worms that is just wild. Now that you bring this up about the pigs though it makes sense. We had a puppy that got neutered when we had pigs last season, dog went in and we were told he had 3 types of worms, some were 3 inches long! Perhaps that also came from the pigs.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've seen them this bad in wild hogs and in stray dogs that have livedon the street... never a pet of my own. I feel bad.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It does make you feel bad when something slips past you. I think either we've all been there or we are going there. You just can't be perfect 24-7. Darn near perfect, but juuuuuust not quite.

DuckyLou

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We rescued a little miniature filly about 3 years ago. She was skin and bones with a major potbelly. I knew she had to be full of worms... I gave her the traditional horse paste wormers and she was getting sicker and sicker... She almost died she was so infested and chemical wormers were not working even a tiny bit! It was awful to watch her suffer... I took quick action and as a last ditch effort I bought Molly's Herbal wormer (mainly used for goats) and that stuff cleaned her out!! It saved her life!! I found dead worms for weeks.
So when we were raising pigs to butcher that is what I used on them. That stuff really worked for us.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
We rescued a little miniature filly about 3 years ago. She was skin and bones with a major potbelly. I knew she had to be full of worms... I gave her the traditional horse paste wormers and she was getting sicker and sicker... She almost died she was so infested and chemical wormers were not working even a tiny bit! It was awful to watch her suffer... I took quick action and as a last ditch effort I bought Molly's Herbal wormer (mainly used for goats) and that stuff cleaned her out!! It saved her life!! I found dead worms for weeks.
So when we were raising pigs to butcher that is what I used on them. That stuff really worked for us.
I have herd of animals being so overly infested that treatment can actually kill them. So sad :(

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sometime herbal medications work, sometimes they work to a point, and sometimes they do not work at all depending on concentrations of the effective worm killing active ingrediant present in the particular dose. :hu

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We rescued a little miniature filly about 3 years ago. She was skin and bones with a major potbelly. I knew she had to be full of worms... I gave her the traditional horse paste wormers and she was getting sicker and sicker... She almost died she was so infested and chemical wormers were not working even a tiny bit!

Did you ever run a fecal to find out what kind of parasites she had?

When dewormers don't work it is usually because
~it is the wrong one for the job
~resistance has been built up
~inaccurate dosages
~improper use and not knowing how a particular class of drug works

Sometimes when giving a dewormer if a load is real high and a bunch of products are thrown at an animal it can make the animal sicker.

Herbals can be very effective but it all goes back to identification of parasite and proper treatment regardless of whether it is a chemical dewormer or herbal.